Author Topic: Avast runs very well, but Microsoft message says it is off.  (Read 5273 times)

marvinlzinn

Avast runs very well, but Microsoft message says it is off.
« on: November 19, 2009, 03:23:21 PM »
I have never had any problem with AVAST.  But when I restart the computer, and many other times,  I get a Microsoft message that anti-virus is OFF, including the AVAST description. I was able to turn off this test, but can you tell me why it did not know it was on? This did not occur until I had to restore Windows from problems unrelated to this. (It may be because I turned off the OUTLOOK portion, because I never use it. All other features are running.)

marvin

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast runs very well, but Microsoft message says it is off.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 04:27:45 PM »
This is more likely to be an issue with the Windows Security Center rather than avast and certainly not what you did.

What is your OS ?

What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zellist

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 04:37:37 PM »
Hello marvinlzinn,

There's a few things you might want to check.
- Make sure you have administrator rights
- Press win+r (or start > run), type in "services.msc" (without "")
- Services will run and under Services (Local), under the extended tab:
- You should see these: avast! Antivirus, avast! iAVS4 Control Service, avast! Mail Scanner, avast! Web Scanner.
- Make sure all of them are started, if not right click for their properties and choose Automatically (Apply settings) and click on Start.

Next step:
- Press win+r (or start > run), type in "wscui.cpl" (without "") or start > control panel > security center
- Under Virus Protection, search for a recommended Antivirus software.
- If it fails to find any, restart your PC and try again.

Hope this helps, cheers!

zell
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 05:11:54 PM by zellist »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 05:10:38 PM »
If they aren't started then you won't see ashServ.exe or aswUpdSv.exe in the task manager, which is simpler to get the data.

Not to mention there would be a red circle with bar over the avast 'a' icon.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

marvinlzinn

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 07:48:31 PM »
This is more likely to be an issue with the Windows Security Center rather than avast and certainly not what you did.

What is your OS ?

What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image ?

I use Windows XP. Task Manager always shows AVAST running. I just don't know why Windows Security Center would not know it is running when it already knows it is there.

marvin

marvinlzinn

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 07:50:13 PM »
Hello marvinlzinn,

There's a few things you might want to check.
- Make sure you have administrator rights
- Press win+r (or start > run), type in "services.msc" (without "")
- Services will run and under Services (Local), under the extended tab:
- You should see these: avast! Antivirus, avast! iAVS4 Control Service, avast! Mail Scanner, avast! Web Scanner.
- Make sure all of them are started, if not right click for their properties and choose Automatically (Apply settings) and click on Start.

Next step:
- Press win+r (or start > run), type in "wscui.cpl" (without "") or start > control panel > security center

Hope this helps, cheers!

zell

Yes, I am the administrator (The only person who used this computer at home). I will check the rest of your list though. No time for it now.

marvin

marvinlzinn

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 07:51:10 PM »
If they aren't started then you won't see ashServ.exe or aswUpdSv.exe in the task manager, which is simpler to get the data.

Not to mention there would be a red circle with bar over the avast 'a' icon.

Thank you. No indication you mentioned that it is not running.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 08:49:51 PM »
<snip>
I use Windows XP. Task Manager always shows AVAST running. I just don't know why Windows Security Center would not know it is running when it already knows it is there.

The WSC has form for this type of thing.

- WSC doesn't detect avast! - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/topics/help/wmi.mspx#EQKAC
Windows XP SP2, SP3, etc. from Windows Start, Run, type cmd and click OK from the command prompt type 'rundll32 wbemupgd, RepairWMISetup' without the quotes and enter.

marvinlzinn

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 06:04:03 PM »
. . .

. . .

Thank you. This allowed me to change Virus Protection to "Unmonitored", which means it does not give me anymore annoyed messages. I just don't know how it got started, but if it happens again I will remember how to shut it off.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 07:17:02 PM »
Changing to unmonitored, isn't a resolution of the problem but an avoidance of it, this could leave you unaware if something tried to disable your AV and isn't recommended.

marvinlzinn

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 03:48:38 PM »
Changing to unmonitored, isn't a resolution of the problem but an avoidance of it, this could leave you unaware if something tried to disable your AV and isn't recommended.

Well, that is the only way I can find that will stop it from telling me AVAST is not running when does. I wasn't thinking about anything trying to disable AVAST. That would be the worst enemy I ever had!'

marvin

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 03:54:22 PM »
Did you not try what I suggested in my last post as you didn't respond ?