Author Topic: JS Downloader in the Virus Chest  (Read 15759 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: JS Downloader in the Virus Chest
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2010, 12:41:05 AM »
Hi sweets,

For third party software patch policy automation use this scanner: https://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal
Then you are secure from all sides, and continue to scan with it to be better harnased against latest vulnerabilities, exploits and holes,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

sweets

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2010, 11:36:15 AM »
Because I have dialup service, I stopped downloading & installing Windows Updates a long time ago. Beginning with, "Critical Update for Office XP on Windows XP Service Pack 2 (KB885884)", a 4.3 MB download, & every update thereafter.
Therefore, would it be unwise to install via disc, Service Pack 3 & Internet Explorer 8, unless and until, I download every critical, cumulative and security update before them, there are dozens and dozens including ones for Service Pack 2 and Internet Explorer 6 ?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 12:15:07 PM »
You might like to have a look at the MS info here, Steps to take before installing SP3.

I recently had to format and reinstall Windows. The disk I have has SP2 on it. I had SP3 as a downloaded folder, backed up elsewhere, and applied it as part of the reinstall, prior to going online.
Worked a treat.
In effect, it is almost a new operating system. You won't actually notice any difference to speak of, but there is absolutely no need to get the updates you have missed prior to the release of SP3, but since SP2. The chances are that SP3 might supersede some of those, anyway.

So what I am saying is, to answer your question, no, it would not be unwise. It would be wise. Do it. Windows will catch up with the changes as required.

You will have a lot of updates to install following SP3, regrettably. Dozens of MB.
There's no real way round it if you want to remain patched, unless you can get a friend to load all of those on to a CD or flash drive, also.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

sweets

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
If I'm going to require dozens of MBs of install after the SP3, then why even bother with the SP3? It's an impractical situation with a dialup dinasour like me! Almost forcing me to make the switch to high speed, which I won't do since I only use the computer for email.My computer is working fine without it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2010, 03:36:13 PM »
Its called security.

Well if you don't install SP3, prepare to be ditched by MS come July 13th as there will be no more security updates for XP SP2 or lower. Only XP SP3 will continue to be supported.

I'm on dial-up and provided you keep on top of it it isn't a huge issue, a pain yes, but the longer you leave updates the more painful it is and the more vulnerable your system is.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 03:38:10 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sweets

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2010, 04:24:22 PM »
I think they ditched the few remaining dialup customers along time ago. I wrote them an email but have yet to get a meaningful response, just the usual, "I will be doing my very best to help".