Author Topic: Avast 7 won't install  (Read 17117 times)

hollingwood

Avast 7 won't install
« on: March 05, 2012, 02:11:55 PM »
Hi
I find that I cannot install Avast 7 on my HP laptop Windows 7.
The progaram unpacks itself, then installs according to the install box, but when the Windows installer box appears, it stops and nothing more happens, and I have to force an end task to be able to do anything more with the laptop.
I have tried with both Avast 7 free  and also Avast 7 internet security with exactly the same result. There is no other security software installed that could conflict, and after each attempt I have cleaned up with the Avast tool and also Ccleaner to get rid of any remmants of the program.
I have had to give up at the moment and reinstall my previous antivirus, which is disappointing.
Could anyone help me - as I would like to use Avast.
Thank you
Hollingwood     

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast 7 won't install
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 02:23:39 PM »
How did you remove you previous AV? did you run a removal tool to clear off remnants.

hollingwood

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 03:17:51 PM »
Was Comodo  and used Revo uninstaller looking for remnants.
Hollingwood

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 03:33:06 PM »
Hollingwood

Neither Comodo Programs Manager not Revo Uninstaller do a god job for applications like antivirus and firewalls. Revo is even complicated if the program requires a boot to be fully uninstalled.
If you want a proof of that, install MSE and ask for CPM to uninstall it. Or worse in case of Revo at Advanced mode. Allow every single file and registry key to be removed and you'll see the mess you'll get into... Personal experience.
The best things in life are free.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 07:59:12 PM »
Hollingwood
Revo shouldn't be used to remove security applications, read and run the comodo removal tool from here http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/ No 8 in the list.

hollingwood

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 09:26:40 PM »
Hi

Tried again with no luck again. Uninstalled Comodo using its uninstall and then used Comodo removal tool. Then tried to install avast 7. It gets as far as box with "Installing please wait" with a full progress bar. Then vps appears on the left hand side, and the Windows Installer box appears with "preparing to install" in the box. Then it stays just like that with no progress. 1 hour later just the same.
Had to use the Windows "end task" to close the boxes no further forward.
I don't want to go back to Comodo I would like to use Avast.
Hollingwood   

aztony

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 10:34:01 PM »
Are you trying to install from a saved file, or run the install from your browser?
When I 1st upgraded to V7 my pc locked up on every reboot forcing me to boot into safe mode to uninstall avast!. I used Glary Utilities and SlimCleaner to clean up any leftover files. But when I tried to do a clean install of avast! from a downloaded saved file the installer wouldn't run. After numerous frustrating minutes of trying this or that (without success) I launched internet explorer, went to CNET and used the RUN option in the browser to get the installation done. If you haven't done that already you might give it a try.

hollingwood

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
Thank you for advice --  tried this and still the same I cannot install avast.
In the meantime I have searched hard disk for any remnants of any previous security program, and manually searched the registry for any entries of any such programs. There are no other antivirus or security programs running and there are no remnants of anything left either. I am convinced  that there is no conflict with any other software but I don't know why it won't install. The laptop is running well with all other software with no indication of problems. Does the installer have to be so sensitive? or perhaps it just doesn't like my laptop.
I am disapointed as I have used Avast in past years wanted to become registered user of version 7. I have given up now, I haven't returned to Comodo but installed another antivirus.
Thank you  hollingwood   

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 01:22:37 AM »
What are you using as a firewall? We have seen some issues with certain firewalls.  :)

Also you might want to hide your email unless you like spam.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

hollingwood

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 02:42:29 PM »
Thank you about email address!   Have used comodo in the past with the suite,  but all during this time of trying to install Avast have only been using Windows 7 firewall.
hollingwood

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 04:23:33 PM »
Try this download the avast uninstall utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility> Reboot into safe mode ( pressing F8 repeatedly)>uninstall avast>Reboot into normal mode>Use CCleaner to clean the registry http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/>in the lower left corner click "start">In the search box type "aswRdr2.sys" this is a driver which avast uses and has been known to cause problems and can be manually deleted>Reboot into normal mode>Install avast>Reboot.

Hope this helps. Please report back.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

hollingwood

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 08:44:47 PM »
Hi thanks for your help followed exactly instructions and it worked, I now have Avast installed!
What happened is that the install proceeded to the place where it had stuck before. The install box of Avast was there and then there appeared the usual empty box of Windows installer on top of it. Before that is where it stayed with no further progress.  This time after 15 minutes, the message "Install server not responding" appeared in the Windows Install box. There was a button saying ok, the message disappeared leaving the empty Windows Installer box, but this time beneath it the Avast Install screen carried on going installing the program. At the end I used Task Manager to terminate Windows Installer  and result was a working Avast.
Thanks  for help received. I have written all this out in detail in case this helps anyone else stuck in the same place I was.
hollingwood

Madsen460

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 12:03:04 AM »
Did you delete the files? download free edition again. save to desktop. reboot.  hold f8 untill a black sreen with letters appear. slect safe mode with networking. log in admin and instal. ;D ;D

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 12:55:03 AM »
Did you delete the files? download free edition again. save to desktop. reboot.  hold f8 untill a black sreen with letters appear. slect safe mode with networking. log in admin and instal. ;D ;D
That's exactly what I suggested.
See reply #7 above.  :)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 12:56:07 AM »
Hi thanks for your help followed exactly instructions and it worked, I now have Avast installed!
What happened is that the install proceeded to the place where it had stuck before. The install box of Avast was there and then there appeared the usual empty box of Windows installer on top of it. Before that is where it stayed with no further progress.  This time after 15 minutes, the message "Install server not responding" appeared in the Windows Install box. There was a button saying ok, the message disappeared leaving the empty Windows Installer box, but this time beneath it the Avast Install screen carried on going installing the program. At the end I used Task Manager to terminate Windows Installer  and result was a working Avast.
Thanks  for help received. I have written all this out in detail in case this helps anyone else stuck in the same place I was.
hollingwood
More than happy to assist. Feel free to stop in anytime.  :)