Author Topic: On line banking and share buying. How safe if use the Avast V5 (free version)  (Read 10509 times)

doktornotor

My Bank recommended I download Trusteer Rapport is this any good.

I'd recommend this thread @ Wilders

doktornotor

browser related >>> sandboxing will never protect you from such online threats ::) ... from exploits attempting to gain access to the rest of your data on your PC yes, but from cross-scripting etc...while you're providing private information on the net, the sandbox there will be as useful as an umbrella during a tsunami. Private browsing's still worse... protects from nothing except from the cops if needed ;D, ie would prevent from finding "sensitive" browsing data on the hdd, as it gets loaded in RAM only (history, cache, cookies...), and that's it. Your IP's still caught on the web sites you visit ;D, and the private data you provide is as vulnerable to online attacks as usual.

Well... I'll agree w/ the in-private browsing (about useful for internet cafes or whatnot); for the rest wrt sandboxing, we'll agree to disagree. Don't feel further debate would be very productive on this point.

I would add http://noscript.net/ for Firefox ;)

This is one of the worst extensions ever written for any browser. It's a horrible tool in hands of vast majority of users who are unable to use the tool properly (if there's anything like a proper usage of it). It's like killing a fly with a Doom-style plasma gun, causing thousands of casualties as a side effect. The most visible effect of installing this is inexplicable breakage and functionality loss on tons of websites.

Hermite15

The most visible effect of installing this is inexplicable breakage and functionality loss on tons of websites

yeah ;D that's because you don't know how to use it, and you must belong to this vast majority of users that you mentioned yourself  ;) ...yeah excuse me but I've used it for years now, so ::)

Well... I'll agree w/ the in-private browsing (about useful for internet cafes or whatnot); for the rest wrt sandboxing, we'll agree to disagree. Don't feel further debate would be very productive on this point.

why? I'd be glad if you elaborate a little...

edit: >>> http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3979&p=17380&hilit=chrome#p17376

Most important, sandboxing is definitely overrated (yes, SandboxIE, I'm looking at you).
In this Web 2.0+ age, the ability to touch your hard disk and other system resources (which is what sandboxes try to impair) is not very important anymore: your in-browser password store and the services you access online (e.g. credit card transactions) are the most valuable targets, and an attacker can "own" them even without the need of a browser exploit (a web application vulnerability is enough). Of course, a browser vulnerability is a bonus, but manipulating to the browser process is more than enough, and no sandboxing can help you with that.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 02:19:38 PM by Logos »

doktornotor

yeah ;D that's because you don't know how to use it, and you must belong to this vast majority of users that you mentioned yourself  ;) ...yeah excuse me but I've used it for years now, so ::)

Well, the entire point was - don't recommend NoScript and similar to a random folk out there until you are sure he's a security nerd comfortable with the obnoxious hassle similar "addons" cause on everyday browser usage. If you disagree, then I'd suggest installing this to your parent's computer or to some random office worker who's abilities are limited to typing into Word and producing "fancy" PPT presentations and have a stopwatch handy to measure how long will it take for them to call you back that you've broken their browser beyond repair.

edit: >>> http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3979&p=17380&hilit=chrome#p17376

Most important, sandboxing is definitely overrated (yes, SandboxIE, I'm looking at you).
In this Web 2.0+ age, the ability to touch your hard disk and other system resources (which is what sandboxes try to impair) is not very important anymore: your in-browser password store and the services you access online (e.g. credit card transactions) are the most valuable targets, and an attacker can "own" them even without the need of a browser exploit (a web application vulnerability is enough). Of course, a browser vulnerability is a bonus, but manipulating to the browser process is more than enough, and no sandboxing can help you with that.

Hmmm... there's no in-browser password store with properly configured sandboxed browser, worst case anything you save there gets flushed once the browser closes, better yet disallow this completely. There are also no addons or nothing similar like that. You have a clean browser for banking etc.

Wrt "web application vulnerability" - well, when your bank's site get owned, it's their problem and their damages to bear, not something the customer will pay in the end. Has nothing to do w/ sandboxing at all.

Hermite15

Has nothing to do w/ sandboxing at all

agreed :D

twl845

I use Shadow Defender and FF NoScript. Sandboxie would be my other choice. :)

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
I would add http://noscript.net/ for Firefox ;)

Agreed.  Best extension for security.  FWIW, I also use Secure Login.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4429

I do my banking using a separate Windows account for all my financial transactions and record keeping.

AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Hermite15

FWIW, I also use Secure Login.

yeah, secure login has javascript protection, I use it too ;)

hkamsofficer

???
  OK folks,

The basic question was, first , was it safe to use on-line banking and share transaction ( on-line) with Windows Fire Wall ON, and Avast version 5 ( home free version ) as the prime AV protection ?

Second, Avast seeming to suggest user should get the 'paid version' of Avast Internet Security for safer online banking and share transaction. I have emailed Avast and the reply suggested its still safe to use the Free version but better off if the Paid version is installed.

Any fans can further detail the statement with many thanks.
 ;D

Offline Yezinki

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
For stocks use Metastock or your broker's custom software for online live trading.

Protection:  Avast 12.3 Free, MBAM.