Author Topic: Problems With Microsoft Products With The New Avast  (Read 4875 times)

jsmcc

Problems With Microsoft Products With The New Avast
« on: April 12, 2010, 05:04:42 PM »
I am really pissed off at the way that the new Avast works. All programs including IE and Access do not work properly now. Please advise.

doktornotor

Re: Problems With Microsoft Products With The New Avast
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 05:12:15 PM »
Please advise.

Please describe what "do not work properly" means... Like, any errors, logs, screenshots etc.

sded

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
And:  Which version of Avast!?  What OS?  What other security software?  As you can see from the Forum, most users are not having issues with MIcrosoft Products, so we need to help figure out what your problems are.  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 05:25:44 PM »
Well... seems an incompatibility and not avast itself...
Which is your firewall? Your old antivirus?
Which is not "properly" here?
The best things in life are free.

jsmcc

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 06:36:06 PM »
Avast is the ONLY security software I have on the 2 computers. Both computers run Windows XP. Both computers have problems with running IE, Access, Excel, Word, Outlook and other Microsoft applications. They run slowly (waiting 3 minutes for the screen to load) or don't run at all. It is an Avast problem since it did not happen before I upgraded. Avast version ersion 5.0.462

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 06:43:14 PM »
This does sound like conflict, as avast doesn't block, but scans and alerts to infection, which presumably you don't get or you would have said.

Why would avast single out MS applications other than all applications, that just doesn't make sense. MS Office applications have macro capabilities in their documents and would be scanned, certain AVs have hooks into the MS Docs and even when uninstalled. These hooks remain and this can cause conflict, which appears to be blocking as the hook locks the file.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Do other browsers work, e.g. firefox, chrome or opera ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 07:09:15 PM »
@ the OP: how do you know Avast is responsible for your multiple issues on those machines? possible bad upgrade; uninstall avast completely on both systems and reinstall from scratch (as opposed to upgrading from 4.8 )
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:12:00 PM by Logos »

PapaSmurf

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 07:15:09 PM »
Just reaching here, winXP comes with a "security center"
that can be found via the control panel. My version had some built in win security cr*p
already running, which I of course got rid of.
You may have ONLY installed avast!..but that does not mean that there might not be another virus program on your system. For example, the internet provider I use had decided to give everyone one of the bloated cow anti-virus programs...it automatically ended up on my system before I knew what was happening.
I also opened up a variety of win office works.

Cako

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 07:42:15 PM »
I am really pissed off at the way that the new Avast works. All programs including IE and Access do not work properly now. Please advise.
try uninstall 462 and install this new version.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=58183.0

bo.elam

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 07:24:09 AM »
Hi jsmcc, I am also running XP SP3 and all MS programs including IE8 are
working real well. Avast does not slow my machine at all. I don't have any
answers for you but its probably a program in your computer that's creating
compatibility issues somewhere.
Bo