Author Topic: Avast viruschest not available  (Read 17973 times)

SaskiaS

Re: Avast viruschest not available
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2012, 08:00:45 AM »
It has asked for the (wrong, Windos Xp Professional) disk several times now, but never with a browse-option. (or I have overseen it, several times...)

As far as I can remember it also did not have a browse-option when I ran the sfc-scan (step3) of that Tweeking/ Windows Repair-program you told me about.

Could the problem with it asking for the wrong cd perhaps be that we have Windows XP Home Edition installed with Office XP Professional ? Perhaps it mistakes the office-version for the windows-version ?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2012, 03:02:49 PM »
There is a solution to this but it will require you to make a minor edit in the registry

Click on the Start button, type REGEDIT in the Run dialog box off the Start Menu, click OK, and then navigate to the following key in the left pane of the Regedit window:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\

When you click on the last subkey (Setup), you will see in the right pane a value called SourcePath, which will point to your CD-ROM drive. Assuming that you have made the copy of the I386 folder to the root of your C: drive, then all you have to do is double click on this value and change it to point to C: instead.

You might also need to modify the value SourcePath at this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\

SaskiaS

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2012, 07:42:38 AM »
ehm, you say assuming I have made the copy of the i386 folder to the root of my c:drive, but like I said I have several i386 folders. I have not copied any of them to the c: root, because I would not know which one to pick.

My i386 folders are in:
C:\Windows\DriverCache
C:\Windows ServicePackFiles
C:\Windows ServicePackFiles\ServicePackCache
C:\ProgramFiles\Java\jre7\lib
C:\Windows\System32\Spool\XPSES
C:\Windows\System32\ReinstallBackup\0000  (and also in 0001,0002,0003,0004,0005,00011) \Driver Files
C:\Windows\System32\Spool\XPSES\i386

today I have searched for that i386 again, and it also found a folder in D:\13eef7c6eaf6c30a2ed901fa, it did not find that one a few days ago

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2012, 12:04:17 AM »
Unfortunately all my research would suggest a clean install to be the only option

SaskiaS

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2012, 02:54:46 PM »
Hi there,

sorry for the late reply, that might have looked ungratefull or something for all your help. Which I am not, but we are going through very difficult family circumstances.

Not so happy with your conclusion of course, but you had warned me that it might end up to that. Thanks anyway for all your help. I will do a reinstall of windows as soon as things have setlled down here.

best regards, Saskia

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2012, 04:47:26 PM »
Not a problem family comes first