Author Topic: Scanning Tor Browser  (Read 3529 times)

Andrew-k

Scanning Tor Browser
« on: April 15, 2014, 05:39:35 PM »
I am running Avast Free with Windows Vista 32-bit.  I have Avast set so that the tray icon is animated when scanning, but note that when I open a website using the Tor Browser the icon doesn't move; does this mean Avast isn't scanning?  (I run Tor from a removable drive).

Tetsuo

Re: Scanning Tor Browser
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 08:25:07 PM »
Probably it was not scanning because the connection was encrypted (https traffic) - inside the nodes all the traffic is encrypted while outside it depends...

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 09:08:42 PM »
Using Tor has its own risks since you don't know which nodes your surfing through.
FYI the NSA, CIA, FBI, the British GCHQ, and the Australians all own a ton of nodes.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Andrew-k

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 11:58:53 AM »
Thank you for your replies, though I am unable to read all of Tetsuo's answer as it's cut short and I can't find any way of expanding it.  Being technically ignorant, I suppose what I'm really asking is whether, by opening a website using Tor or other proxy server, I am liable to a virus infection if Avast isn't scanning it.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 02:40:55 PM »
Yes! Anytime you are surfing the web irregardless of browser used and you are without protection you are wide open for any and all infections.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

Tetsuo

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 03:11:51 PM »
Being technically ignorant, I suppose what I'm really asking is whether, by opening a website using Tor or other proxy server, I am liable to a virus infection if Avast isn't scanning it.

Probably off-topic, but considering what you've already asked, I think that you might want to try Tails:

https://tails.boum.org/

About Tails: https://tails.boum.org/about/index.en.html

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 03:17:32 PM »
Even if someone uses "tails" they are still in the same boat as far as protection as "Tor".

Andrew-k

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 03:40:03 PM »
Thank you for your replies.