Author Topic: Computer Reboots While Trying To Install Avast  (Read 2494 times)

bil_drk

Computer Reboots While Trying To Install Avast
« on: April 19, 2014, 09:35:39 PM »
Hi, I am new to the forum, but have used avast for many years. I recently purchased a new-to-me computer, a Dell Optiplex 755. I am having alot of problems installing avast. During the install, it will come to a random point and then my computer will restart. When it restarts, I can then install avast, and it will work okay. BUT, avast creates another problem. When i put the computer to sleep, and try to wake it up, the windows login screen briefly appears and it will reboot. To see if it truly was avast, I completely uninstalled it, and all the problems seemed to disappear. I have never had these kind of problems from avast. This is freaking ridiculous >:(. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

P.S; I am running Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit. 

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Computer Reboots While Trying To Install Avast
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 09:52:41 PM »
Was any previous used or factory installed antivirus removed before installing avast?
Was the vendors tool and instructions used to remove it?

General: Uninstalling a third-party antivirus software   http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB11#artTitle 

bil_drk

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 09:56:59 PM »
Hi Pondus, thanks for your reply. No, this was a clean install of windows. The only thing I installed were Windows Updates. Just to check, I installed Microsoft Security Essentials to see if Avast really was the problem; the computer is functioning normally, so this tells me it is a software problem, be it in avast or windows, somewhere. If you have any more ideas, I'm open to them. Thanks!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 10:01:49 PM »
Attach OTL diagnostic log and essexboy will have a look    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 10:56:48 PM »
Did you install windows yourself?
If so, did you do it like this:

- Disconnect from the Internet (pull out the cable)
- Install windows (format the drive ofcourse)
- Install ALL drivers for your system
- Install avast
- Connect to the Internet
- Install all updates security/drivers (especially the security updates/service pack)
- Install the applications you are normally using
- Make settings/configurations changes is you want/need
- Create a image of that drive

That last one will safe you a lot of time in case you need to/want to reinstall windows again.

bil_drk

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 04:57:47 AM »
Hi Eddy, thanks for your reply. I admit, I installed Windows myself. I followed the procedure you outlined above, sans creating the image of the drive. I don't have media that will hold a backup of this size (ie, DVD's or flash drive.) I will say that I installed AVG, sadly, and the computer seems to be functioning normally. I am still testing and checking for problems/flaws, etc.

I am still open to suggestions. I will post back if anything significant comes up. Thanks.

bil_drk

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 07:04:44 AM »
UPDATE: I noticed the Dell Diagnostic lights illuminating the numbers 3 and 4, and would do so for about 5-10 seconds before the bios screen would appear. Doing some digging, this indicates a memory problem; be it the modules or the board itself. I will use Memtest on the modules in the morning.

I also had a random restart while I was surfing the web on it. Just randomly; no warning or nothing. I believe this, along with the Dell diagnostics lights, to seriously indicate the memory or board. Again, I will do some digging tomorrow. What really sucks is I believe I had the initial problem solved too.

I honestly think Avast has a problem in their software, as AVG did install the first time, and did not seem to exhibit the same behaviors as when I was installing Avast. This is a shame; I thought Avast had a better quality control than this :'(. I am still open to suggestions; Thanks again. 

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 01:46:39 PM »
In case you want to run more hardware tests:
http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html