Author Topic: no info on virus detected regsvr.exe not detected  (Read 3562 times)

adi_dmj

no info on virus detected regsvr.exe not detected
« on: October 27, 2008, 08:22:30 PM »
win xp sp3
avast 4.8 home

I got recently hit twice by regsvr.exe but at both the time avst failed to detect.
it was started vis auto run.inf and was having newfolder.exe and .exe files in the names of existing folders present in pen drive

in second instance avast give it a name AutoIt-CI[trj] on searching the net(avast site) could not find the info about this virus/trojan

infact avast ste gave all irrelevant info like names of virus in particular month of vps etc etc

but search didnot resulted in the name of virus which it detected , how strange it seems to be.

by contrast if norton detectes a virus it immediatly leads to you weblink where you can find info and perform other manual steps if required

It appears that norton is still the best AV that money can buy the only big serious problem with it is you cannot use system restore even in safe mode with norton self protection disabled.

I am surprised when avast detects a maleware but can not give a details about it. i am bit disappointed as i was very much impressed by it as you can use system restore feature in case of emergency.

and also it appears that avast has many errors as compared to other products.

which i would post in other topic,
I think the only thing that somehow makesup is that it being a free product a person should not have much expectactions from it.

regards

adi

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: no info on virus detected regsvr.exe not detected
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 10:08:35 PM »
I think the only thing that somehow makesup is that it being a free product a person should not have much expectactions from it.
In fact, the avast detection is higher than Norton in some tests.
Not a software is perfect, Norton is far from being one.
I think this is not money related.
If you can, we'll thank you if you try to improve avast detection, sending the file to virus (at) avast (dot) com for analysis.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 11:26:41 PM »
IF you still have the sample send it to avast.

Send the sample to virus@avast.com zipped and password protected with the password in email body, a link to this topic might help and undetected malware in the subject.

Or you can also add the file to the User Files (File, Add) section of the avast chest (if it isn't already there) where it can do no harm and send it from there (select the file, right click, email to Alwil Software). No need to zip and PW protect when the sample is sent from chest. A copy of the file/s will remain in the original location, so any further action you take can remove that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

adi_dmj

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 03:27:14 PM »
i have sent the sample at virus at avast dot com

regards

Adi

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 03:48:27 PM »
Thanks for helping to improve the avast detections.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security