Author Topic: .vpx fragmented  (Read 3384 times)

REDACTED

.vpx fragmented
« on: February 13, 2018, 05:49:09 PM »
I understand that there a lot of things that slow down a pc while booting, but I opened my degraggler and looked at the files that were mostly fragmented and it showed vps_32-1731. vpx. plus two other . vpx's on the list, and the path it said C:\program files (x86\avg\antivirus\. I use to run avast but thought I uninstalled it to run AVG. I was reading where to fully uninstall avast you need avastclear. Should I use this method of totally uninstalling avast? Will it do any harm to my registry

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: .vpx fragmented
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 06:30:10 PM »
I understand that there a lot of things that slow down a pc while booting, but I opened my degraggler and looked at the files that were mostly fragmented and it showed vps_32-1731. vpx. plus two other . vpx's on the list, and the path it said C:\program files (x86\avg\antivirus\. I use to run avast but thought I uninstalled it to run AVG. I was reading where to fully uninstall avast you need avastclear. Should I use this method of totally uninstalling avast? Will it do any harm to my registry
It's never harmed the registry on my computers when I used the tool.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 12:47:38 PM »
This is a reason i removed Avast from 20 machines even before the license has expired. Ignorant programmers are lazy enough not to make a buffer file to download updates to, and than replace the files in one move. They simply have let the file to download slowly writing it to hdd in sequences, producing up to 700 fragments per file per update. That's ignorance.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 01:05:45 PM »
Well, we try to focus on stuff that actually matters (and a lot has been done in terms of performance optimization in the past months).
Sure, a defragmenter may show you that the file is fragmented - but will it have any measurable impact? Considering how often and how many times that file is used... I don't believe that.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 02:42:10 PM »
It absolutely has measurable impact.
I have measured it.
Our machines do a lot of HDD read/write tasks.
With no Avast and HDD defragmented the I/0 speed is:   

Write=300 000 000 B/sec   Read=350 000 000
after 7 days of work:
Write=270 000 000 B/sec   Read=340 000 000   due to SSD raid0 fragmentation 0%

With Avast and HDD defragmented the I/0 speed is:
Write=300 000 000 B/sec   Read=350 000 000
after 7 days of work:
Write=60 000 000 B/sec   Read=130 000 000   due to SSD raid0 fragmentation 35%

If that is not measurable difference than I'm a f****** helicopter.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 02:47:06 PM »
Stuff the stuff that actually matter and make some stuff that actually does not brake the system!

And please make a more readable verification pictures, These are irritating.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 02:50:01 PM »
And please make a more readable verification pictures, These are irritating.
Captcha is only needed for your first 3 posts. (Spam protection)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 03:06:34 PM »
And... Is it so hard to reserve some continuous place on hdd for updates?! Even I know how to do that, and I'm no programmer at all!

And... to get back to original question... "I use to run avast but thought I uninstalled it to run AVG. I was reading where to fully uninstall avast you need avastclear. Should I use this method of totally uninstalling avast? Will it do any harm to my registry"

Uninstalling Avast will not do harm to the registry. No need for Avastclear, but no harm in it either.
AVG has the same problem, and is far heavier for the system resources.
Any other AV? No. Avast is the best.

But having a vpx file in 1500 fragments, and not just one vpx, will render the system slow, even unbootable pretty soon.
Had that problem a few times. Solved it by defragmenting from other portable USB system... Again finding Avast vpxs scattered all over the place.

Read on!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 04:18:23 PM by @bach »

REDACTED

Re: .vpx fragmented... the WORKARROUND
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 03:18:35 PM »
I have found a workaround for the problem by making separate partition for Avast install.
2GB on normal HDD, not SSD, to avoid all that read/write on SSD.

Avast took about half of that space leaving enough place for fast defragment process on that drive.

No more scattered vpx files on system drive!
Time to defrag Avast separate disk is 10s!
The fragmentation of disk is much slower too, no simultaneous writes are happening for this is Avast only disk.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 03:56:48 PM by @bach »

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 03:52:34 PM »
I do have another question for Avast...
Why is it not possible to install Avast on RAMDISK?
I have tried quite a few times in various ramdisk software to no avail...
I can set install path to ramdisk d:\avast folder, but it finished up installing in Program Files every time.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 03:54:21 PM by @bach »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 05:14:18 PM »
Antivirus is a low-level tool which is started quite early, plus some of its modules are integrated deep into the system. If the modules (files) couldn't be reached (e.g. because the drive isn't yet attached during boot), the system may not be able to start (and certainly wouldn't be protected).
So Avast can only be installed on fixed drives - no ramdisk, no removable media, no network drives.

On the other hand, if you selected a ramdisk and without any warning got installed somewhere else... that's not fully correct, in my opinion.

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 11:44:48 AM »
I agree completely.

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 11:55:31 AM »
After just 24 hours after setting up Avast to separate drive and defragmentation of the drive
this is how the drive looks like: