Author Topic: How often Avast alerts for out of date updates ?  (Read 2507 times)

mj2000

How often Avast alerts for out of date updates ?
« on: March 30, 2014, 03:10:53 PM »
Hi all.

I ve installed avast free 2014 on a system that does nt connect to internet and i download updates from website once a while to update it.

Just a mater i ve noticed. The definitions date of the programs is 19 march. also 11 days are passed, but the programs status is still green and no alerts is on the main page of the program.

As i had also tried other AV products, i became just curious to know why avast does nt alert for outdated definitions and how many days should be passed after the last update, that the program alert for that ?

THanks.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 05:55:50 PM by mj2000 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: How often Avast alerts for out of date updates ?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 03:21:19 PM »
As i had also tried other AV products, i became just curious to know why avast does nt alert for outdated definitions and how many days should be passed after the last update, that the program alert for that ?
good question......
i also have other AV installed on different computers and if i have been away at work for a week they alert of outdated signatures when i turn them on

mj2000

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 10:03:56 PM »
yes, and i also changed the date of the system into months later, but still no alert !

Is that a bug ?

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 10:35:16 PM »
Stupid question, maybe, but at one time or another we all overlook the obvious.

Under Settings/Appearance, in the Status Monitoring section, do you have the Virus Defs item ticked (should be ticked by default, I'd assume)?  It's not exactly obvious that "Appearance" is where you'd look for that kind of setting.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

mj2000

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 03:52:58 PM »
All the options there are enabled.

I even changed my system date two months later, but still no  alert.

mj2000

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 10:24:23 PM »
Any idea ?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 10:39:06 PM »
Any idea ?

Did you remove the other AVs with their removal tools?

avast! will alert you when their is an error when updating the VPS, that being said, they should be up to date.

Are streaming updates working fine?

If you have not removed all AVs with their respective uninstall tools, remove avast then remove the (other) previously uninstalled antivirus with their removal tools and then finally re-install avast.

By default avast! checks for VPS updates every reboot and after 240 mins (4 hours).

For the free version, this limit can be changed to a minimum of 120 mins, whereas, the paid editions can be changed to a minimum of 15 mins. (this is about the VPS, not stream)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 10:41:19 PM by Alikhan »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 11:43:49 PM »
The fact that the machine is "not" hooked up to the internet could mean that avast has no way of knowing what vps version you have.
What happens when you connect "that"computer to the internet? Does avast detect which vps version is present on that machine?
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.