Author Topic: Disabling annoying popups/upgrade prompts?  (Read 6583 times)

aPanzerIV

Disabling annoying popups/upgrade prompts?
« on: April 12, 2014, 04:30:35 AM »
I have been using Avast! Free Edition for a very long time, it has always kept malware off my systems without impacting the performance of the systems, but since a few updates ago there appears to be an annoying issue I am having with it. I will be browsing Reddit or Youtube, or something else, and open a video in a new tab, or not, or just be sitting there reading, when all of the sudden, a new tab opens to an Avast! upgrade prompt page, like this:

I have been putting up with this for quite some time, and it was bearable until it would start opening Google Chrome by itself automaticly at random times just to take me to the upgrade page while I was doing other things. If I am playing a video game(which I do a lot) it minimizes the game and this, is very annoying.(it does this even when gaming/silent mode is enabled)

There are also notifications that prompt me to upgrade, these are not so annoying, but until a couple of patches ago, you could disable them. Now I see no option to disable them in settings.
TD;DL: I want these upgrade prompts to stop, how do I disable them?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 04:33:03 AM by aPanzerIV »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Disabling annoying popups/upgrade prompts?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 01:25:48 PM »
You can disable update info in avast! > Settings > Update > Details > Show notification box after automatic updates.
Also, the webpage is opened just once to explain avast! Online Security.
The best things in life are free.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 03:27:02 PM »
Tech that appears to be the FF29 problem with AOS

Laurieps

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 08:31:34 PM »
You can disable update info in avast! > Settings > Update > Details > Show notification box after automatic updates.
Also, the webpage is opened just once to explain avast! Online Security.

I tried that, and it didn't help.  I get two of those pages that open every single time I open Google Chrome, and sometimes extra copies open when I open new tabs.  I've tried un-enabling Avast Online Security, but it re-enables itself.  I've tried deleting the extension, it re-adds itself.  I've tried disabling all the checkmarks on the settings page, and it still happens.  I've tried blocking the sites, and it just means I get two pages that open saying the sites were blocked, which really isn't helpful.  Is there anything else I can do, besides just deleting avast from my computer altogether?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 08:58:09 PM »
The suggestion by Tech wouldn't work for the particular issue that you are experiencing with the Avast Online Security (AOS), but it should prevent other popups piggybacked to the auto update function. However without a screenshot of these other popups, it is hard to say what is initiating them.

It would probably be best to uninstall the AOS plugin/add-on. This is called the Browser protection in the avast custom install/uninstall.

To uninstall an element in avast - Windows Control Panel > Programs & Features > avast antivirus - Uninstall - Change, from this new window, uncheck the Browser Protection feature.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 09:18:17 PM »
Disabling Chrome as default browser for avast and using Opera also solves it.

Laurieps

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 09:20:40 PM »
The suggestion by Tech wouldn't work for the particular issue that you are experiencing with the Avast Online Security (AOS), but it should prevent other popups piggybacked to the auto update function. However without a screenshot of these other popups, it is hard to say what is initiating them.

It would probably be best to uninstall the AOS plugin/add-on. This is called the Browser protection in the avast custom install/uninstall.

To uninstall an element in avast - Windows Control Panel > Programs & Features > avast antivirus - Uninstall - Change, from this new window, uncheck the Browser Protection feature.

YAY!  That worked!  Thank you kindly :D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 09:28:05 PM »

YAY!  That worked!  Thank you kindly :D

You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 04:33:45 PM »
Funny to hold computers and their owners hostage in the name of protection.
Same thing  like locking  innocent people away apparently for their own good.
This is the way of a "plank" to enable security.

How to educate users that way? 
How to get any progress?
No. this is a way of keeping them dumb and dependent.
 Is this maybe the new "Huna security"?   ;D

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

aPanzerIV

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 06:00:56 AM »
bump, no fix yet