Author Topic: Avast has stopped me streaming media  (Read 9784 times)

streetsleeper

Avast has stopped me streaming media
« on: April 16, 2014, 11:07:57 AM »
First off advast customer service on the phone is terrible, phoning from the UK at 0930 and 19 minutes on hold then the call just ends.... not happy so come to forums in hope of better service..

Now i stream music while on xbox360 and xbox one playing games. This was all working fine tilll few days ago. First of all i thought this was a problem with windows so went in checked everything against another computer in the house and everything was ok but noticed i was connecting to a Public network instead of Private.... this is a wired connection.. thought that was weird so swapped the connection ports on router still the same problem. Checked my other PC in the house that is windows 7 and running avast free with the latest update and that was all ok on version 2014.9.0.2016 showing private network.
So on the troubled PC i left the homegroup and rejoined still shown as public network.
so i resotred system back to avast 2014.9.0.2013 and it worked fine... had media streaming back. Checked my network and was back to private network. So ok ill upgrade avast again maybe something went wrong when installing. Upgrade and straight away my streaming stopped. Go into Windows Media Player and select streaming and show's it is enabled but when i click advanced options it says it isnt on and i click the button to turn it on and it dosnt work.

So restore PC again and avast back to version 2014.9.0.2013 and all everything is streaming again i havnt changed nay settings at all. Now the paid version seems to be breaking my streaming yet my free version is working fine.

Just to add my avast firewall wont turn on now either.

any hlep is appreciated please.

tlock65

Re: Avast has stopped me streaming media
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 01:30:20 PM »
I've had the same problem with media streaming & windows shares after updating to the latest Avast! Internet Security program. The only fix I have found, after trying everything I could find on the subject here & on other forums, is to disable the Avast firewall & either use windows firewall or another 3rd party firewall.

Not really a "fix' but it's the only way I've found to use Avast at all & still retain local streaming & network shares. I've seen others having this same problem, but I haven't seen where anyone is working on a solution yet, other than disabling the firewall. Very dissapointing, as I really didn't want to have a separate firewall running...

streetsleeper

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 07:15:23 AM »
bump anyone know of a fix? tried work around as above still dosnt work with avast firewall off...

pumpellyrc

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 11:08:26 PM »
With the latest version of Avast Internet Security, "Allow Windows File and Printer Sharing" and "Allow Remote Desktop Connections to this Computer" are not enabled by default.  In Avast Control panel click on Firewall in the Tools Icon menu to get the Firewall Control Panel.  Select "Settings" then "System Rules" and make sure the above noted items are Enabled.  Back in the Firewall select "Applications" and under Microsoft Corporation make sure that In and Out Ports are set to All for "Host Process For Windows Services" (sometimes the in ports get blocked).  Also make sure that in services (from windows cmd ),  the Windows Time service is set to Automatic Start on both computers.  If time synchronization is off by only a second, Homegroups will not see each other. 

streetsleeper

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 11:03:53 AM »
that was all on a standard i have checked setting twice everything is open... still broken just means i wont be signing up for renewal time as customer services has been so shocking.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 11:13:22 AM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

tlock65

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
I updated to the newest  version of AIS on one of my laptops & the update did not fix the problem. Still unable to stream & Windows shares still not accessible. Went back to using only the anti virus for now, but as soon as I decide on a replacement, I'll be going with another Internet Security solution. I don't really want to, but network sharing/streaming has been broken for too long on AIS & it doesn't look like it'll be fixed anytime soon.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 01:04:12 PM by tlock65 »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 01:03:52 PM »
Set the firewall to allow ICS sharing and friends

tlock65

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 01:09:25 PM »
Did that...No luck, still doesn't work. The only way I can access network shares with anything past AIS .2013 installed, is to manually enter the network location in the explorer address bar. Even turning off the firewall does no good...I have to completely disable it, or uninstall & reinstall without the firewall.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 01:12:31 PM »
Unfortunately I do not stream between devices so I can assist no further

tlock65

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 01:17:31 PM »
I understand, & thanks for checking into it anyway. I hope that they can correct this in the near future...I really don't want to switch to another program, but I need to be able to access my external drives on my desktop over the network, so I have no choice.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 01:23:50 PM »
I have a wireless printer that I can access with no problem, not sure if that is the same thing though

tlock65

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 01:39:12 PM »
Strange. I decided to try reinstall the newest AIS one final time just now & it's working fine. All network shares are showing up as usual & remote desktop working fine.

The only thing I did differently this time was, instead of doing a clean install, I just upgraded to AIS from Avast! Free Anti Virus. Not sure why this would have anything to do with it, but whatever...I'm just happy it's finally working correctly  ;D

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 01:45:26 PM »
Glad to hear that :)

tlock65

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 03:16:08 PM »
After a bit of experimentation, I've found that I still cannot run the Avast! firewall on my desktop, as it seems to block inbound network connections for some reason. I've checked & double checked all the settings and there shouldn't be a problem. I had to revert back to Antivirus only  again, & use Windows Firewall.

Seeing as how I rarely use the desktop to access the internet, this is no big deal to me, as my laptops running AIS now seem to access the network normally & streaming also seems OK. I would imagine that this might be a problem for other people though, & at some point I hope I can go back to AIS on my desktop also.