Author Topic: [SOLVED] Firewall blocking drive shares to workgroup server from VMware PC  (Read 4765 times)

RobHoffman

Hello all,

Just installed BPP and am having an issue. I have the console installed on a Win7Pro PC in a domain. We also have a server outside the domain (old SBS2003 server for legacy app) in a separate workgroup. I have drives mapped to it inside of a XP Virtual PC (VPC) loaded on Windows 7 Pro PC's on the domain using VMware Player 3. The XP VPC's are not joined to the domain. VPC's do not have antivirus installed.

If I install BPP on the client host PC, and the firewall defaults to "Work" then the shares in the VPC do not work.

If I slide the firewall control to "Home", the shares do.

Things I have tried in firewall settings:
1) Added the entire network 192.168.10.1 through 192.168.10.254 to the "friends" list. -No Change
2) Changed the port on the application rules tab for the VMware app from 447 to all. -No Change

Current workaround is to disable auto switching of profiles and set firewall to home, manually on each client.

Does anyone know why the firewall is blocking network traffic from the VPC to the old server?

Any thoughts on how to use the Administration Console to set all client firewall settings to "home" and disable auto profile switching OR disable the firewall on existing clients?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.

-RH
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:21:46 PM by RobHoffman »

RobHoffman

Re: Firewall blocking drive shares to workgroup server from VMware PC
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 08:20:50 PM »
Looks like I found the answer, after I posted. The solution was to turn on the "Internet Connection Sharing Mode" in the Firewall Expert settings.

Found the answer in this link shortly after posting.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=57829.msg493653#msg493653

Thanks to all!

-RH