Author Topic: RE-installing Avast on new computer  (Read 6452 times)

michaellambert

RE-installing Avast on new computer
« on: October 31, 2011, 07:58:14 PM »
Last January I bought Avast 5 from Digitalriver, downloaded and installed it on my office computer. I bought it for three PC's for 2 years although it was only ever installed on one.
Three months ago the computer experienced terminal problems and I replaced it. About two months ago I started trying to re-install Avast on the new machine.
I know that this is probably not very difficult although I am finding it almost impossible to find anyone at Avast or anywhere else who can tell me how to do this.
Recently I was told by Avast tech support to follow a list of around fifteen steps including starting my computer in safe mode and then installing the programme I paid for. The programme I paid for is now residing where it was downloaded on an old computer which does not work!!
So I wrote back and was given two instruction, the first how to remove Avast (the one month trial edition) and I was then directed to download the new release from a link which took me to a forum. How am I supposed to know how to find an anti-virus programme in a forum?
If there is anyone who can explain in very simple terms how I can perform the simple task of re-installing Avast on my new computer I would be very grateful indeed. 

ady4um

Re: RE-installing Avast on new computer
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 08:05:30 PM »
Which edition of Avast you bought? I mean, not the version number, but the exact edition, like Avast Pro? Or Avast Internet Security? Or Avast Business Protection? Or Avast Business Protection Plus? Or...

michaellambert

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 08:10:58 PM »
It was Avast Internet Security 5.0

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 08:18:44 PM »
Here is the install exe for AIS http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe, download and save then run the installer when finished, once installed you should only have to add the licence file that you would have been sent via email ( double clicking on the file should install it automatically )

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 08:19:30 PM »
Your registration will work for version 6.x too.

Simply go to http://www.avast.com/internet-security and get the trial version.

Download that. Once downloaded, run the setup. When it finishes, reboot. You have 30 days to use it even without your registration.

When you are ready, look into your old email, the one you received with the registration.

You can use that registration in your new system, in your new installation of Avast.

If you don't have the email or the old registration / license files, post again and I'll give you more instructions. The old email is the easiest of the options to recover the license. In any case, the new installation of Avast will get to use your valid license, until the same original date of the original license you bought.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 08:30:30 PM by ady4um »

michaellambert

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 08:25:26 PM »
Thank you very much.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 08:36:50 PM »
Your welcome  :)