Author Topic: Avast Ad Blocker is not installing on Firefox!!  (Read 5039 times)

SonarX

Avast Ad Blocker is not installing on Firefox!!
« on: May 25, 2013, 06:04:32 AM »
For some weird and odd reason, the ad blocker for avast isn't installing onto Firefox! I'm currently using the latest version, not sure if thats the problem but I still can't seem to install the damn thing. I've tried messing with the browser integeration settings on avast but nothing works. Hopefully someone here can resolve my issue.

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast Ad Blocker is not installing on Firefox!!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 09:21:43 AM »
hey and welcome to the forum.

have you installed the adblocker from avast program? restart firefox?
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

jrace

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 10:20:32 AM »
For some weird and odd reason, the ad blocker for avast isn't installing onto Firefox! I'm currently using the latest version, not sure if thats the problem but I still can't seem to install the damn thing. I've tried messing with the browser integeration settings on avast but nothing works. Hopefully someone here can resolve my issue.

Hi SonarX and welcome to the forum.
In your avast! installation folder you find a folder named "AdBlocker". When you open this one you find the folder "FF". In "FF" you find the file "adblocker@avast.com.xpi".
Drag and drop this file into the open Firefox window and follow the instructions.
This should install the avast! AdBlocker.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 10:33:17 AM »
blind shot, is there already AdBlocker installed on the FF ?
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline ky331

Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

Aventador

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 02:20:53 PM »
Better off using Adblock Plus.

SonarX

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 01:00:29 AM »
see solution here:   http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=124075.msg940953#msg940953
Thanks, this worked out great  ;D but I need to know why I didn't it instal normally through the browser integration settings. It used to instal like that before. I just need a good explanation for this.

Offline ky331

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 02:26:21 PM »
Explanation:  FF21 has changed the folder where it stores (some of) its extensions.   
But Avast was still trying to install AdBlocker in the folder that had been used by FF20 (and earlier), so FF21 didn't "see" it.

For a full explanation, see http://www.ghacks.net/2013/05/15/why-you-may-have-lost-access-to-plugins-or-extensions-in-firefox-21/
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 02:28:07 PM by ky331 »
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 

SonarX

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 07:52:02 AM »
Explanation:  FF21 has changed the folder where it stores (some of) its extensions.   
But Avast was still trying to install AdBlocker in the folder that had been used by FF20 (and earlier), so FF21 didn't "see" it.

For a full explanation, see http://www.ghacks.net/2013/05/15/why-you-may-have-lost-access-to-plugins-or-extensions-in-firefox-21/
I had a feeling it was because of the update. Thanks for the info  ;D

Offline ky331

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
You're welcome.