Author Topic: Avast 8 Free Disabling/Removing Overclock/Power Settings  (Read 3127 times)

randuser2002

Avast 8 Free Disabling/Removing Overclock/Power Settings
« on: March 04, 2013, 02:12:35 PM »
I've recently encountered this problem after installing Avast 8. It isn't due to windows updates or anything else of the sort, since no other software had changed and I even restored back to an earlier point just to test it (probably always arises after installing Avast 8).

I am currently running an i5-3210 M @ 2.5 Ghz which should be overclocked to 3.0 Ghz.

Not only does it remove the overclock settings, but it also precludes anything related to processor load in the Windows 8 power options.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 02:14:47 PM by randuser2002 »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast 8 Free Disabling/Removing Overclock/Power Settings
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 02:20:24 PM »
If your using a 64 bit system try adding the patch here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116242.msg902806

randuser2002

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 02:59:01 PM »
If your using a 64 bit system try adding the patch here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116242.msg902806

Thanks, appreciate the link, but now it refuses to let me disable self defense... and all of a sudden it forgot my registration information (I didn't and couldn't modify anything, since self-defense is still up).

This really is incredibly frustrating. Going to just install a different anti-virus until they get their stuff together.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 03:05:40 PM »
You might have to try rebooting and give it another shot as the patch does work and I haven't heard of anyone with the trouble your having disabling self defence, are you sure your disabling it from settings/troubleshooting.

randuser2002

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 03:32:02 PM »
You might have to try rebooting and give it another shot as the patch does work and I haven't heard of anyone with the trouble your having disabling self defence, are you sure your disabling it from settings/troubleshooting.

Yes. I went to settings, then troubleshooting. I clicked off the self-defense. However, it refused to keep the setting. Tried rebooting. Didn't help. It's a shame, because I have had no issues with Avast from version 5 until now...

Oh well. Hopefully they test it better. I'll just wait this one out until all of the bugs are ironed out. Thank you again, regardless. Still if anybody has the same issue, this fix might work for them, so your efforts were definitely not in vain.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 03:47:05 PM »
Sorry it has been uneventful for you and I can understand the frustration your having but it sounds more and more like your avast install aside from the patch maybe corrupted, a clean install would probably be the best way to go if you are willing! and then retry applying the patch.