Author Topic: Can't get avast to work from Ubuntu 10.04 live CD!  (Read 7104 times)

ZenStephanie

Can't get avast to work from Ubuntu 10.04 live CD!
« on: July 27, 2010, 05:15:36 AM »
Hi all,

I am hoping very much you will be able to help me.

Something ate my Windows, which I can no longer boot from hard disk in any mode, from CD rom, or from floppy disk.

So I'm wanting to run a full virus scan on my hard drive before backing up my files using Ubuntu.

Problem is, I can't seem to get Avast! to work from the live CD, and I don't want to install Ubuntu, even a dual boot install, until I've backed up my files out of fear of losing them.  So I really would like to find out how to get this to work!

I found zilog's tips and used them. As soon as I followed those instructions, I stopped getting the "invalid argument" error, but then when I would try to download the VPS update, avast! would crash afterward and then not let me restart it. It would ask me for my registration code again too, and then Firefox starts crashing and then even whatever process it is that adds the close, maximize, and minimize buttons to the top of program windows. Very bizarre...

So the question is, if I've used zilog's tips to increase the allowable file size, and stopped getting the "invalid argument" message but then have avast crash on me as soon as the VPS finishes downloading, and then refuse to start again, what is going on? Is there a fix?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Can't get avast to work from Ubuntu 10.04 live CD!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 01:00:01 PM »
Hi all,

I am hoping very much you will be able to help me.

Something ate my Windows, which I can no longer boot from hard disk in any mode, from CD rom, or from floppy disk.

So I'm wanting to run a full virus scan on my hard drive before backing up my files using Ubuntu.

Problem is, I can't seem to get Avast! to work from the live CD, and I don't want to install Ubuntu, even a dual boot install, until I've backed up my files out of fear of losing them.  So I really would like to find out how to get this to work!

I found zilog's tips and used them. As soon as I followed those instructions, I stopped getting the "invalid argument" error, but then when I would try to download the VPS update, avast! would crash afterward and then not let me restart it. It would ask me for my registration code again too, and then Firefox starts crashing and then even whatever process it is that adds the close, maximize, and minimize buttons to the top of program windows. Very bizarre...

So the question is, if I've used zilog's tips to increase the allowable file size, and stopped getting the "invalid argument" message but then have avast crash on me as soon as the VPS finishes downloading, and then refuse to start again, what is going on? Is there a fix?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hallo, for me itm looks lioke incomplete 400.vps download. incomlete vps sits in your .avast subdirectory and block things.
but, memory requirements are quite hight, and it can occupy ~300M or more, so it's wise to use some real storage for your apps, not just that tmpfs as many live distros do.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

mrlance

Re: Can't get avast to work from Ubuntu 10.04 live CD!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 06:07:38 AM »
open terminal then type
sudo sysctl –w kernel.shmmax=128000000

on a live cd their will be no asking for a password bet the command will fix the error on the live cd so that you can run the installed live cd