Author Topic: How do I remove the Win32: Trojan-gen {VB} virus?  (Read 22765 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:How do I remove the Win32: Trojan-gen {VB} virus?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2004, 12:58:41 AM »
Read my page again. It has everything you need, or at least links to it. Including the firewall(s)

megaman04

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2004, 09:22:18 PM »
Read my page again. It has everything you need, or at least links to it. Including the firewall(s)

Hello again,

I have two questions I need help on. First, do I re-enable system restore in safe mode after going through avast, ad-aware, spybot, hijackthis, cwshredder...or is it done after I reboot the computer? Second, after using Hijackthis, a list of results appear (R1's, 03's, 04's, etc..). A website said to delete all the exe. files in 04 while in safemode. Is that the route to take? Thanks for your advice.

Megaman

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2004, 11:25:58 PM »
megaman04
You asked to delete them in Safe Mode because once you reboot, you no longer have access to them.
Re-eneble SystemRestore after you reboot and know your system is clean. Once you have it re-enabled, do a fresh restore point and you can call it SystemClean. ;D ;D
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

megaman04

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2004, 08:58:36 PM »
megaman04
You asked to delete them in Safe Mode because once you reboot, you no longer have access to them.
Re-eneble SystemRestore after you reboot and know your system is clean. Once you have it re-enabled, do a fresh restore point and you can call it SystemClean. ;D ;D

Thanks Bob, but I need to clarify something. I asked if I needed to delete the "exe 04 files" in safemode because I haven't done that yet. Didn't know if I had to. I assume your answer is to delete the "04" files in safemode. Also do I use CWShredder, Spyware Blaster or another program to create a "restore point?" Thanks for your help.

Megaman

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2004, 09:13:36 PM »
....do I re-enable system restore....
No, unless there is a reason for you to need it to be enabled.

And for your question about the Hijackthis log, I point you again to my page ;) It has the link to a HJT log analyzer I created, a online HJT log analyzer and explanation about the HJT log file.

Here are the direct links to them:
HJT log analyzer
Online log analyzer
Tutorial/Explanation about the HJT log file
Several links to interesting sites about HJT
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 09:14:23 PM by Eddy »

phenexfire

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2004, 10:56:47 PM »
I am wondering, I cannot seem to find details about trojan-gen {vb} anywhere. I just installed avast and it says it is there on my system in a file called autoload.exe. I am running a full scan now but I wanted to look at details of the virus...like they have at symantec or trendmicro.... does anyone know where I can find those? other than that I have spybot, adaware and hijack this so I am just waiting for this scan to complete. thanks
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 10:57:40 PM by phenexfire »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2004, 11:01:44 PM »
 trojan-gen {vb}

Trojan speaks for itself
gen is short for general or generic
vb stands for visual basic

So it is just a name for a whole series of trojans with the same characteristics

misterzuzu

Re: How do I remove the Win32: Trojan-gen {VB} virus?
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2005, 07:55:57 AM »
To Eddy.  I clicked on the link in your signature and got this:

Gebruikersmap niet beschikbaar
De door u opgevraagde gebruiker heeft geen webspace, of de webspace van deze gebruiker kan niet worden getoond.

Why?

misterzuzu

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2005, 08:13:14 AM »
 :o I let Avast delete the infected files because they were all either in a restore directory or else buried in a temp directory.   :-X BUT NOW!!!  I don't know if this problem was caused by trojan-gen or something else but if any of you consider yourselves to be XP experts, try this for size:

I have a computer with XPHOME and when I boot it, I see the XP screen, I see the login screen but when it gets logged in, all I see is a black screen with a mouse cursor.  I can CTRL-ALT-DEL and get the task manager and run programs from it but I can't run explorer.exe.  I can see explorer.exe but when I try to run it, I get "Windows cannot find the file C:\windows\explorer.exe."  I can make a copy of it as XPLORER.EXE and that program will run!  I can rename explorer.exe to explorer.com and it will run!  If I then try to copy nodepad.exe to explorer.exe, I get "The system cannot find the file specified."  Something, somewhere, is not letting me run anything named "explorer.exe".  I can't even figure out how I would do that if I wanted to.  Any ideas?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2005, 04:30:25 PM »
I have a computer with XPHOME and when I boot it, I see the XP screen, I see the login screen but when it gets logged in, all I see is a black screen with a mouse cursor.  I can CTRL-ALT-DEL and get the task manager and run programs from it but I can't run explorer.exe.  I can see explorer.exe but when I try to run it, I get "Windows cannot find the file C:\windows\explorer.exe."  I can make a copy of it as XPLORER.EXE and that program will run!  I can rename explorer.exe to explorer.com and it will run!  If I then try to copy nodepad.exe to explorer.exe, I get "The system cannot find the file specified."  Something, somewhere, is not letting me run anything named "explorer.exe".  I can't even figure out how I would do that if I wanted to.  Any ideas?
I'd suggest you schedule a boot time scanning or run a scanning booting the computer in Safe Mode (F8 while booting).
The best things in life are free.