Author Topic: GUI shutdown  (Read 2567 times)

tigreseis

GUI shutdown
« on: November 24, 2008, 04:34:37 PM »
I have 4.8.1290 installed. I have never had a problem before. Today I inserted a thumb drive that had a Word file with an old macro virus in it. Avast caught the virus, but after I clicked "repair" I got a message that the gui had shut down and my systray icon disappeared.

I started Avast and cleaned the thumb drive, but why did the gui shutdown?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: GUI shutdown
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 05:55:36 PM »
Repair is rarely a successful option as it on;y works for files that have been infected by a true Virus and would have to have been included in a VRDB Generation, which is totally improbably for a flash drive.

The failure of the GUI could have been as a result of any number of reasons, attack being possible since that was what avast was trying to prevent.

What is the malware name, the infected file name, where was it found e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ? 
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 06:49:55 PM »
tigreseis, please ZIP the contents of the avast\data\log folder and send it to my email address for further analysis.
(you can find my address in my forum profile)

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

tigreseis

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 01:47:05 AM »
I have sent it to you. Sorry it has taken me so long.