Author Topic: Has avast actually been scanning for 3 days on my laptop?  (Read 1717 times)

ATVMudRat

Has avast actually been scanning for 3 days on my laptop?
« on: April 18, 2009, 02:16:18 PM »
I downloaded Avast Home Edition 3 days ago and the blue ball next to my clock spins all the time.  Is this the scanner doing its job or do I have to manually start the first scan?  If it is the first scan, it has been going on for 3 days now.

Once installed, I chose to NOT scan at next system reboot.

Should I now go to the icon on my desktop and initiate a scan?

I'm totally confused with this anti-virus software.  I removed AVG because Auctiva.com's site put viruses on their users computers.  SpyBot Search & Destroy finds "Virtumonde" but is unable to remove it.  A message appears that only the system administrator can remove it.  I was logged in on the administrator account.

I read some other comments and saw where people were getting a message that their computer showed the scan as being a % complete.  I do not have a message like this  (that I can find).

I use Windows Vista, I have a firewall, Spybot S&D, AdAware and I run HijackThis just to see what shows up.

Thanks for the help :)

Mr.Agent

Re: Has avast actually been scanning for 3 days on my laptop?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 02:17:54 PM »
If im not wrong when the blue ball is spin out its mean that he is scanning realtime maybe you download or surf that why he check where you surf and anywhere you go

If spybot is impossible to remove the virtumonde then you should boot time scan then get this on demand scanner ( MalwareBytes,SuperAntiSpyware )

I also recommand for surf safe to get WOT as a site advisor

For Firewall Vista is really good so no need to change it

Windows Defender is also good too if you got it you should its inclued on Vista for a reason that i didnt know
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 02:20:37 PM by Mr.Agent »