Author Topic: Problem with behaviour shield  (Read 9403 times)

wiz2003

Problem with behaviour shield
« on: January 22, 2010, 11:42:16 AM »
I have been an avast user for many years and have installed it on over 800 machines over the years.
I just upgraded my 4.8 pro to v5, and found that the system bsods after login.
I then rename the alwill directory in safe mode.
restart normally
rename alwill directory back
restart avast - and all is ok

I then tried an install of the new internet security package.
Same bsod on startup.
same rename procedure.... and OK..

I then started running GetDataBack (RunTime software)
The machine virtually stopped.
I noticed a high kernel CPU usage
I disabled all avast shields - cpu normal.
I then enabled them one by one, until I got to behaviour shield.
I also noticed that system boots ok when behaviour shield is disabled.

So, in summary, if behaviour shield is disabled, avast 5 is brilliant.

I have a full dump of bsod if required.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:51:55 AM by wiz2003 »

PhilR

Re: Problem with behaviour shield
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 01:41:36 PM »
I concur.

I'd advise users to install Avast 5 without the Behaviour Shield, or to reconfigure Avast in Add/Remove Programs to remove the Behaviour Shield if you've already got it.

Offline cska133

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 02:05:16 PM »
 ???
I dont understand that ???
Where is the sense of the Behaviour Shield if you advise to install/use Avast 5 without it.
Please clarify

PhilR

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 03:35:32 PM »
Because Behaviour Shield misbehaves and bluescreens or hangs my PC.

That's worse behaviour than the stuff it is trying to stop :-(

wiz2003

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 05:25:20 PM »
Hi PhilR,

Should they need it, have you also got a dump from a BSOD??

Also, have you any other observations.....

I am continuing to install it on machines that I have cleaned.......

Many thanks...

PhilR

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 05:30:51 PM »
wiz, I've already emailed vlk the minidump from my BSOD.

I've had no more problems since uninstalling the Behaviour Shield component.

Phil

wiz2003

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 06:29:20 PM »
Phil,

Thanks for the info - I have only just signed up to this forum as have never needed to in the past.....

I am also happy with avast 5 - might buy some more licenses...

Cheers

exocet

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 08:03:11 PM »
Further to discussing with wiz2003 on telephone, I can offer the following problem areas, Vista (who cares) will bsod, XP SP3 will bsod
XP SP2 does not bsod but does take up enormous amounts of CPU time, Win7 (vista with a new jacket) Bsod.

Also interprets a third party program phoning home for update checks as bad behaviour (no its not, i wrote it).

A program written to facilitate joining game servers checks the website for mod and program updates and downloads accordingly, but this is seen as bad behaviour. So its a no no until its fixed.

Having said all this Top marks ALWIL.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 08:13:21 PM by exocet »

Fract504

Re: Problem with behavior shield
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 09:51:04 PM »
I am running avast version 5.0.396 and behaviour shield causes high CPU usage when doing downloads via web browsers.

I've observed the following while downloading files:
Behavior Shield Off: No CPU usage impact, no sound stuttering when playing audio through flashplayer on a website. Smooth mousepointer

Behavior Shield On: High CPU usage during download, sound stuttering (flash audio), jerky mousepointer movement.

Avast 5 is a brilliant piece of software, but this behavior shield is a total no-go in its current form (no technical details and resource hogging during downloads).

olddog

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 12:10:09 AM »
There have been a number of threads relating to the behaviour shield, what it does, what it doesn't do and what problems it appears to cause.

The one common thing is that I haven't seen any response in these threads by any of the Awil team members. It's almost like they don't want to know about it, maybe hope if they ignor the queries the problems will go away.

I also have uninstalled it as at the moment that seems to be the best thing to do with it. :(

olddog

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 09:03:14 PM »
VLK, Igor - How about some input from you!

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 09:05:21 PM »
VLK, Igor - How about some input from you!

yeah, beta testing is gone, and so is the Avast team apparently....

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 07:21:50 AM »
Provided you have the latest VPS, after a reboot, the problem should go away.
Can you please confirm?

Thanks
Vlk

PS The fact that I'm not posting doesn't mean I'm gone. It's better to fix issues than to chat about them.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

olddog

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 08:31:52 AM »
Provided you have the latest VPS, after a reboot, the problem should go away.
Can you please confirm?

Thanks
Vlk

Vlk
Not sure whether the fix is intended to include the Pdf printer problem I had with the behaviour shield
(original post http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54836.msg463973#msg463973).

The problem was originally quite repeatable. Tonight I reinstalled the Behaviour sheild from Control Panel/Add & remove, rebooted, did a manual update which showed I was already on 100203-1, program 5.0.396, rebooted and then tried printing to the PDF printer from the same HTTPS pages where I previously had the problem using IE7. No problems were experienced, so either what has been done appears to have fixed my problem, or the un-install and subsequent re-install of the Behaviour Shield has.

Now if only you can tell us what the Behaviour shield does in the way of directly protecting the local system, what will happen if it finds behaviour it doesn't like, and whether its operation is linked to, or in any way dependant on the Community setting.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 08:33:49 AM by olddog »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 08:43:37 AM »
The problem was originally quite repeatable. Tonight I reinstalled the Behaviour sheild from Control Panel/Add & remove, rebooted, did a manual update which showed I was already on 100203-1, program 5.0.396, rebooted and then tried printing to the PDF printer from the same HTTPS pages where I previously had the problem using IE7. No problems were experienced, so either what has been done appears to have fixed my problem, or the un-install and subsequent re-install of the Behaviour Shield has.

I'm not sure if the yesterday fix could also fix this issue. I.e. it wasn't specifically designed to do so, but the change could have all kinds of positive effects. In any case, glad to hear the problem seems to be fixed now.

Now if only you can tell us what the Behaviour shield does in the way of directly protecting the local system, what will happen if it finds behaviour it doesn't like, and whether its operation is linked to, or in any way dependant on the Community setting.

I'm preparing a blog post on this.
Let me just say that there's no definite answer to these questions, as it's changing over time (the Behavior Shield is in the virus definitions so it changes frequently).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.