Author Topic: Running Avast on-demand only - no services or UI.exe  (Read 3170 times)

topstuff

Running Avast on-demand only - no services or UI.exe
« on: January 17, 2011, 07:10:11 PM »
Hi,

Currently running 4.8 in on-demand mode - I made sure avast self protection was off, then stopped and disabled the 2 services. I can right click in explorer or load up avast to do full/folder scans. It works well that way with no "always on background stuff".

Now i tried the new 5.1. I unticked the avast self protection mode, stopped and disabled the service, deleted the UI.exe that is added to the startup in the reg and rebooted. Ok, no avast stuff loaded, but when I tried right clicking, I got an error about needing the UI. So i run the UI and it obviously says im unprotected etc. But I can not start any type of scan, get some kind of endpoint error.

Now my question is, is there some way (hidden pages, registry hacks?) to make avast 5+ an on-demand scanner only?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Running Avast on-demand only - no services or UI.exe
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 07:14:51 PM »
You'd have to start everything when needed. Yes, both AvastUI and the service are needed for the right-click scan.

You might be able (though I'm not 100% sure) to use ashQuick.exe - but it's a very simple scanner that doesn't really show you much, and possibly ashCmd.exe in the paid versions of avast!.

topstuff

Re: Running Avast on-demand only - no services or UI.exe
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:29:22 PM »
Yeah it looks like you have to start the service then start the UI to be able to scan anything or keep the service and start the UI manually. But then you have to kill the UI via task manager as there is no true exit of it. Either way it is a pain.

ashQuick could be one way. but as you said, it is very simple.

Unless I can run it on-demand without the crazy hoops, I will move away from avast, which is not what I want to do :9