Author Topic: Avast! Free Antivirus 5.1.889 can not clean or scan the winstart.bat  (Read 11685 times)

cfryfamily

hi can some one help i install Avast! Free Antivirus 5.1.889

when run a full scan and at the end of the scan it reported the C:Windows\winstart.bat error file is offline it is currently unnavailable (42006)
i have scan with hitman pro. malwarebyes and SuperAntiSpyware 4.48.1000. and they do not find any Adware, Malware, Trojans, Dialers, Worms, KeyLoggers, HiJackers, Parasites, Rootkits, Rogue Security Products. i have search this forum and found over people have this problem and can not see if it has been fixed I'm running windows 7 premium home edition 64 bit can someone help please. 

SafeSurf

Re: Avast! Free Antivirus 5.1.889 can not clean or scan the winstart.bat
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 02:15:06 PM »
Hello cfryfamily and welcome to the forum,

Is Avast (the software) working correctly?

Is your machine acting differently in anyway?  If so, please describe.

For the problem you described, have you tried an Avast boot-time scan, which is now available for 64-bit machines using Avast v.889?  Let us know if this finds anything.  If it does, please give a screen shot or report back the exact file name and infection.  Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 04:28:43 PM »
@ cfryfamily
The fact that the file is unavailable doesn't mean it is infected, as the scans you have done appear to confirm. But it isn't as simple as that, avast reports the files that it hasn't been able to scan where many other AVs don't report files not scanned, so you would be blissfully ignorant of files that haven't been scanned or for what reason.

There are times when I think avast should do the same as many people automatically think the worst and would want to delete these files that couldn't be scanned. But no it is better to be honest and up front as there are times when these things need further investigation so you need to know.

The winstart.bat file is just a text file (a batch file), which contains commands, these may be to run other processes or tasks when you run it. I have a couple of batch files that I created to back-up me data files to a mirrored location.
I don't have a winstart.bat in my windows folder (using XP Pro SP3), what OS are you using ?

So what we have to find out is a) is this a legitimate file, e.g. have you heard of it/used it before and b) what are the contents of the file.

Exercise Care Not to Run/Execute this file:
To check it, open it with notepad, right click on the file and select open with, from the list choose notepad. This should open it (not run it) in notepad and you can now see the contents.

Copy and paste the contents into your next post.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cfryfamily

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 10:36:57 PM »
hi there i have just done a boot scan and how it is say
C:\program files\alwil software\avast5\defs\11011501\algo.dll error:the system cannot find the path specified (3)

C:\programs file\alwil software\avast5\defs\11011501\aswcmnbs.dll error:the system cannot find the path specified (3)

C:\program files\alwil software\alwil software\avast5\defs\11011501\aswcmnis.dll error:the system cannot find the path specified (3)

C:\programs file\alwil software\avast5\defs\11011501\aswcmnos.dll error:the system cannot find the path specified (3)

C:\programs file\alwil software\avast5\defs\11011501\aswengin.dll error:the system cannot find the path specified (3)

C:\programs file\alwil software\avast5\defs\11011501\aswscan.dll error:the system cannot find the path specified (3)

can some let me know what is going on is my computer protecked as the avast is not say about winstar.bat ???
i have done a scan in windows as well and i get these error what is going on ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 10:46:05 PM »
- Please start a New Topic of your own as this is unrelated to the original subject and will just confuse the topic and we will try to help. 
- Click it, click the New Topic button (see image, click to expand) at the top of the list and post there, if you need any more help.

This, your question is nothing to do with winstart.bat.
You have nothing to worry about as this is just avast doing some house keeping of old defs folders.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cfryfamily

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:50:22 PM »
hi DavidR

i have just open the winstat.bat with notepad and there is No text in it. i have gone to the properties of it and the details are

name winstart.bat
Type Windows batch file
Folder path C:\windows
size 2 bytes

Date created 1/12/2010 00.41
Date modified 16/01/2011 15.09
attributes RHSATOI
Owner Administrtors
that is all i can find out open with notepad there is not text shows up i hope this helps thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:58:17 PM »
Well that's good news, at least there is nothing malicious inside it.

I don't know if this is something that would be in your OS (which you didn't mention ?), that would be employed legitimately. There appears to be something on this being related to win95/98 but that can't be correct as avast 5.x.xxx can't be installed on win9.x.

Nesivos

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 10:59:32 PM »
Make sure it is not or you don't have BAT.Winstart which may be a virus.

Remove BAT.Winstart. Description and removal instructions

Title: BAT.Winstart

Type: Trojans
   Severity scale:BAT.Winstart severity is 77  (77 / 100)    

This is a really dangerous trojan, which changes Windows settings by modifying WINSTART.BAT. This action is already a real threat to the stability of the infected system. What is more, this trojan is memory-resident - this allows this parasite to perform a wide variety of destructive actions in any time. To sum everything up, this trojan is a really dangerous pest, which can cause lots of problems to the user, who has no up-to-date security installed on the PC.

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-bat-winstart.html
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 11:04:07 PM by Nesivos »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 11:08:25 PM »
I think it is pretty clear that cfryfamily has what they posted winstart.bat, given that was what avast reported as not being able to be scanned and what was checked in notepad. Not to mention the whole slew of other scanners thrown at this.

Plus the link you gave is from 2004.

cfryfamily

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 11:17:28 PM »
hi DavidR

i'am Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and it my own home laptop its an acer laptop and it password to get in to windows so i can be the one loging on to it know can as i'am the one with the password do not know what is going on???

hi Nesivos

to you question have scan with hitman pro. malwarebyes and SuperAntiSpyware 4.48.1000. and they do not find any Adware, Malware, Trojans, Dialers, Worms, KeyLoggers, HiJackers, Parasites, Rootkits, Rogue Security Products.and they do not find anythink its is a winstart.bat 

cfryfamily

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 11:26:34 PM »
hi DavidR

i have just installed avast on to my pc that has windows xp pro 32bit os and that is working fine its just windows 7 64bit that avast is having problems with the winstart.bat ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 12:06:06 AM »
I honestly don't think it is a problem, as I have said before it is just being reported as not being able to be scanned, not that it is infected or systems, etc.

I have a netbook with win7 starter and it doesn't look like I have winstart.bat in windows on that either. But being the win7 starer edition it may not have it.

cfryfamily

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 05:06:49 PM »
hi DavidR

thanks for you help i will try to e-mail Microsoft and see if they did put a winstart.bat in windows 7, see if they can help if it malicious and can Delete it or is it a part of windows??? i have to see what they say any thanks for your help again

Nesivos

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 05:15:27 PM »
hi DavidR

i'am Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and it my own home laptop its an acer laptop and it password to get in to windows so i can be the one loging on to it know can as i'am the one with the password do not know what is going on???

hi Nesivos

to you question have scan with hitman pro. malwarebyes and SuperAntiSpyware 4.48.1000. and they do not find any Adware, Malware, Trojans, Dialers, Worms, KeyLoggers, HiJackers, Parasites, Rootkits, Rogue Security Products.and they do not find anythink its is a winstart.bat  

I never said that.  HitmanPro and SAS have found Malware and viruses on my computer.  Malwarebytes maybe one or two tops in close to two years.  

As I posted previously the only real time anti-virus or anti-Malware programs that I run in real time are AIS and Windows Defender.

In addition once a week I run the following programs in batch mode in the order below

1. IObit360
2. Malwarebytes
3. SAS

Every two weeks I run in batch mode

1. IObit360
2. Malwarebytes
3. SAS
4. HitmanPro
5. HousecallLauncher
6. Dr. Web
7. ESET on-line scanner

Once a month or after finding a "Trojan" I run all seven of the above in complete scan mode for those products listed above that offer the option to run in quick scan and complete scan mode.

In addition to the above I run the AIS screen saver scan and also run complete scans of my internal hard drives with AIS twice a day and complete scans of my external disk drives once a week using AIS.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 05:29:41 PM by Nesivos »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 05:31:29 PM »
hi DavidR

thanks for you help i will try to e-mail Microsoft and see if they did put a winstart.bat in windows 7, see if they can help if it malicious and can Delete it or is it a part of windows??? i have to see what they say any thanks for your help again

You're welcome, you have more confidence in Microsoft than I have, but I hope you get your answer from them.