Author Topic: "Invalid or unsupported form of compression" with WebShield ??  (Read 6902 times)

naturalforce76

"Invalid or unsupported form of compression" with WebShield ??
« on: January 27, 2010, 05:38:47 PM »
I have been running Avast Home Edition and Zone Alarm for quite some time with no problems. Upon installing the new Avast Free, I am unable to successfully navigate the internet via Firefox or IE. Although Firefox will allow some pages to load (such as my gmail) with the majority of pages I get the message that the page is unable to load due to "invalid or unsupported form of compression". After researching some Firefox forums I attempted the various fixes suggested (such as clearing cache) to no avail. I also loaded Firefox in safe mode so that all add-ons and extensions were disabled and the problem still existed.  However, I discovered that if I disable the web shields on the new Avast, that I can once again successfully navigate the internet.

Suggestions?

Is there a setting I need to change? Should I just unistall and revert back to the blue Avast?

Thank you for your assistance and feedback regarding this issue. I read over the forums but apologize if I missed a similar post!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: "Invalid or unsupported form of compression" with WebShield ??
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 06:54:21 PM »
This actually sounds like firewall blocking.

You don't say what version of avast you are using, 4.8 or 5.0:

- avast4 - Does ZA allow ashWebSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

- avast5 - Does ZA allow AvastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a manual update and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 06:56:16 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

naturalforce76

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 08:01:00 PM »
I'm using the 5.0 Avast. I had gone into ZoneAlarm (free edition) and checked the settings for AVast. All were either the green check mark or the question mark. I did not see ashWebSv.exe nor the AvastSvc.exe in the program list, although there were 12 different program listings for Avast.

Which entries should I delete? After deleting, how do I do a manual update? Is this a manual update of Avast or the Firewall?

Here is a list of the program listing for Avast in my firewall settings:

avast! Antivirus
avast! antivirus service
avast! antivirus update (this one is then listed 3 more additional times)
avast! e-Mail Scanner Service
avast! Log Viewer
avast! Service
avast! service GUI component
avast! Shell Extension Scanner
avast! Web Scanner

Thank you for your help DavidR!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 08:12:13 PM »
Looks like there are remnants of the old 4.8 as ashWebSv.exe is the 4.8 web shield. So ignore any reference I made to 4.8 in my last post.

It may be best to delete all the avast entries and reboot, watch for any ZA pop-up permission requests, etc.

If after that the browsing problem is still present and there is no sign of AvastSvc.exe then create an entry for it. It is located here C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe in windows XP may be different for other OSes just look/search for the avast5 folder or the file.

Updating, Open the avast UI, Maintenance, Update, Update engine and definitions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

naturalforce76

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 08:49:59 PM »
I went into ZA and deleted all the AVast entries. I then allowed all ZA permission requests after bootup. The program lists looks similar except now there are two avast! service entries instead of one as previously and there are now only two avast! antivirus update entries instead of four as previously.

The browsing problem still exists if webshield is enabled. I have found the AvastSvc.exe located where you directed me but do not know what you mean by "create an entry for it".

I also did update Avast and it stated all definitions were already up to date.

Thank you again for all your help. I do like the interface of the Avast 5 better and it doesn't seem to slow my pc as the former version did so I'm hoping we can figure out the problem and repair it.

naturalforce76

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 08:52:53 PM »
Sorry for the double post however after reading a bit more, I enabled the web shield on Avast but turned off ZA completely. The problem still persisted. This made me think that it is not a ZA issue after all.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 09:04:23 PM »
Create an entry for it in ZA's Program Control if it isn't present.  It is likely to need full permission, e.g. act as servers, etc. Unfortunately it is well over 6 years since I used ZA so I can't be much practical help in that regard.

Even with firewalls off there are some hooking low level drivers that may still get in the way.

What version of ZA do you have Free or Pro ?

There are three entries in the windows services, see image, they are all for AvastSvc.exe.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 09:09:06 PM by DavidR »

naturalforce76

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 04:09:47 AM »
OK, so I thought maybe since I did not unistall the former version and merely installed 5 over it, something got glitched. I removed the program and then used the uninstall tool. I used it for 5 first and then thought about it and ran it for 4.8 also. It removed several items. I then reinstalled fresh and payed attention to all that Zonealarm requested. The ashWebSv.exe and the AvastSvc.exe both requested permission. They only say avast! services in the program list, but when the window appeared to request permission it listed both of those. Problem still exists.

I'm running the free edition of Zone Alarm.

I had thought I could merely uninstall 5 and reinstall the 4.8 but can't find anywhere to download it. I can continue to run Avast 5 with the web shield turned off but feels like this defeats the purpose of Avast. Is there a way to download the former 4.8? Should I continue to use 5 without the web shield or use another antivirus such as AVG?

Thanks again for all your assistance. I wish I'd read the forums and seen the various issues before upgrading to the newest version. *sigh

naturalforce76

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 04:14:04 AM »
Once again sorry for the double post but I did find the link to the older 4.8 version on another thread here. Should I just go back to this until the kinks work out? Its still updating and fully operational isn't it?

For anyone else looking for the 4.8 download,here is the link thanks to "Waking" in another thread:

http://www.avast.com/en-ca/free-antivirus-download#tab4

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 03:52:01 PM »
What gets me is this "Invalid or unsupported form of compression" error, which I have never come across in relation to the web shield in all the time that the web shield has been incorporated in avast. It makes me wonder if you aren't using some form of encryption program, proxy, or web acceleration application ?

Personally I would never go back to AVG after 6 years away (so 4.8 is the better of the two options) and even longer away from ZA, which I feel has become bloated and not as good as it once was, the free version being restricted in the hope you will buy the Pro version.

See http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php.

Many forum users are using these:
- PC Tools Firewall seems to have the least user headaches as it doesn't seem to be constantly asking the user questions about this and that.
- Online Armor for the most parts fine but it has caused some users grief after avast program updates and that is something you have to watch out for.
- Comodo is now a suite and you have to do a custom install so as not to install the antivirus element (or use the add remove programs to remove the AV element if already installed), of all the firewalls listed this seems to be the noisiest in asking questions, depending on settings and elements used (Defense+), so it could be daunting for those not to familiar with firewalls or their systems.
- Outpost Firewall 2009 free, a cut down version of the Outpost Firewall Pro version, which should still provide good protection, http://free.agnitum.com/. Download, http://www.filehippo.com/download_outpost_firewall/

There is a new pre-release version 5.0.394, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54491.0 which should be out soon and that seems to have resolved the major issues with 5.0.377. However, as I have said I have never seen what you are experiencing here "Invalid or unsupported form of compression" with either 4.8 or 5.0 so I don't know if this would make any difference.

naturalforce76

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 08:12:52 PM »
Thanks for all the info David. I'm going to go back to the 4.8 Avast and check out the firewall link as well. I have been using ZoneAlarm for many years and never thought to look for something different. I appreciate all the info you've given me.

Before I update Avast anymore, I think I'lll lurk on the boards here and see how it all works first!

As for my using "some form of encryption program, proxy or web acceleration application", all I can say is .... ummmm, I don't think so. I NEVER download anything except windows updates and security software updates (Malewarebytes and a reg editor whose name escapes me now). I'm not sure what encryption programs or proxy would be but have heard of web accelerators and have never installed them.

Thanks again for all your help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 09:12:14 PM »
You're welcome,

Generally if you don't know of such programs/function than you're unlikely to be using them. It is just that I have never seen that error before and googling it returns many hits from many different areas/programs.