Author Topic: what a trade-off of mail shield  (Read 3308 times)

rioren

what a trade-off of mail shield
« on: April 07, 2012, 03:32:33 PM »
Hello Developers and other friends,

I'm currently using avast! for mac 7.0 beta and found it quite wonderful.

But I'm really frustrated about the mail shield function and would be great if you guys could brief me. I need to know what will be changed if I disable the secured connection of my mail client?

Will this also lead to the info being transported to the mail server without encryption so that any geek can try to get it? It could be quite sensitive from time to time.

Thank you all and happy Ester!

Best Regards,
Rio
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 03:34:39 PM by rioren »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: what a trade-off of mail shield
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 10:29:30 PM »
Hello,

There is quite a bit of discussion on this here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=89943.0

Once you turn off your encryption in your client go to the Mail Shield configuration and setup the encryption there.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 10:32:13 PM by .: Mac :. »
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

rioren

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 10:54:16 PM »
Hello!

Thank you very much for your reply. So if I understand it correctly, the avast will take the place of mail client to encrypt all the mail information?

Could be good if there's a basic explanation of SSL encryption of the mail. I'm still not quite sure about how it works and the risk of involving another part (avast) in this process.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 07:12:16 AM »
So if I understand it correctly, the avast will take the place of mail client to encrypt all the mail information?

That's right.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0