Author Topic: Avast 8 Update causes BSOD in WinXP  (Read 23554 times)

alisonette

Avast 8 Update causes BSOD in WinXP
« on: March 02, 2013, 07:45:54 AM »
Hi, I updated to Avast 8 and it's now causing a BSOD on start-up. The error says it's a "Page fault in non paged area" which I've never seen before. It's definitely Avast, as I can work in Safe Mode and after uninstalling and using aswclear.exe my system was fine, but reinstalling Avast 8.0.1482 clean has caused the same error. It didn't prompt for a restart on the clean install, but the moment I attempted to open something the BSOD occurred and then again on restart.

I'm running Win XP Pro SP3 and had no problems with Avast 7. Any ideas?

by_wan26

Re: Avast 8 Update causes BSOD in WinXP
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 08:13:22 AM »
I had the same problem yesterday, but my operating system is Windows 7. You can refer to my post: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116391.0

What you can do is submit the minidump files to avast either through their FTP server or support ticket or both.

by_wan26

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 08:17:20 AM »
FYI, I used windows explorer and support ticket to send them the minidump zip files.

However, they still have not replied back to me yet.

ddalbiez

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 03:59:32 PM »
Same problem here with XP PRO SP3. Had to reinstall Avast 7. Avast 8 is definitely bugged

SectorGZ

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 04:40:38 PM »
Same here .. I posted in http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=116504.0

I'm back on Avast 7 Anitvirus Pro and all is working just as it should.

mhowl83651

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 09:51:41 PM »
I too got the BSOD that showed Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area after updating to version 8. I uninstalled Avast completely and did a fresh install but still got the same BSOD. I finally gave up and just installed AVG instead. I hope they get this issue fixed as I really like Avast and have been using for several years. I'm running Win XP Pro SP3 and have no problems up until this point.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 09:54:27 PM »
Give avast some time. After all they have a ton of mini-dumps to go through.
I'm quite sure there will be a fix soon.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

ddalbiez

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 09:55:39 PM »
FYI, I used windows explorer and support ticket to send them the minidump zip files.

However, they still have not replied back to me yet.
I uploaded 7 minidumps, but did not open a problem ticket.

GetomA-vast_

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 01:11:12 AM »
I too got the BSOD that showed Page_Fault_In_Nonpaged_Area after updating to version 8. I uninstalled Avast completely and did a fresh install but still got the same BSOD. I finally gave up and just installed AVG instead. I hope they get this issue fixed as I really like Avast and have been using for several years. I'm running Win XP Pro SP3 and have no problems up until this point.

I have the same problem and had Zone Alarm as my Firewall, I managed to uninstall Zone Alarm after several attempts and numerous BSOD. This seems to have solved the problem for now and I am using XP Firewall for now. Wont use Avast Firewall until stability is constant over a week.
Good luck and keep posting.

SectorGZ

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 01:45:44 AM »
I have the same problem and had Zone Alarm as my Firewall, I managed to uninstall Zone Alarm after several attempts and numerous BSOD. This seems to have solved the problem for now and I am using XP Firewall for now. Wont use Avast Firewall until stability is constant over a week.
Good luck and keep posting.

I also run ZoneAlarm Pro version: 11.0.000.057

I do not want to uninstall this as I have been using ZoneAlarm for years and I am VERY happy with it. In fact I just renewed this subscription and I certainly don't want to waste the money on this purchase also.

alfa0

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 03:47:17 AM »
Hi,

Long time user of AVAST Free.   Just upgraded to V8. Gives BSOD when loading OS.

Only option uninstall AVAST!!  Major bug here!!

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 04:03:18 AM »

REDACTED

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 04:13:11 AM »
BSOD caused by aswSP.SYS 

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=64953.0

Jeff you keep posting this, but that patch is only for Avast 7.... it doesn't work in 8. Those posts are from 2010!

Offline jefferson sant

• Starting Graphoman
  • volunteer
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 04:16:22 AM »

alfa0

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 08:32:10 AM »
Hi,

Have used AVAST for years. 

Updated AVAST to v8 with updater, blue screen. Uninstalled AVAST, downloaded fresh, reinstalled,
blue screen.

Have zone alarm installed. Have had to go back to AVIRA!!

Await a FIX!