Author Topic: Avast does not work and cannot uninstall  (Read 80473 times)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast does not work and cannot uninstall
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 10:10:13 AM »
I called the toll free number found on the avast web site for Avast tech support
Could you supply a link to that site with the number please

JohnSheridan

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2012, 11:04:17 AM »
Hi,

I have avast installed on an Acer Windows Home Server.

After licence is expired I can not deinstall avast.
Also the unsinstall programm does not help.
the uninstall programm shows following message:

The avast! self protection module is enabled. For this reason, the operation cannot be completed.
To complete the operation, either run this program from Windows Safe Mode, or disable the avast! self protection (via Settings -> Troubleshooting page).

Now my next questions are:
  • How can I disable self protection if the setting is not shown in windows home console (screen keeps white)
  • How can I run WHS in Windows Safe Mode?

Many thanks in advance.

I want first to uninstall the avast programm because my WHS gets very slow the last month.
So I want to check is it the avast or the whs before I buy a new licence.

many thanks in advance for your help and

best regards

john

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2012, 11:24:49 AM »
you dont have to disable selfprotect if you run it from safe mode

save the uninstaller at your desktop, then start macine in safe mode and run it from there

do you know how to start in safe mode?

http://www.google.no/search?q=how+to+start+in+safe+mode&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:27:07 AM by Pondus »

AZB

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2012, 03:56:06 PM »
Hi, my avast also won't work and can't uninstall. I tried running the uninstall utility in safe mode but it wouldn't uninstall it and I got the error messages: 'DllRegisterServer returned 0x80070005' and 'Uninstall service error 0x000000005'. Is there any way around that or can I uninstall avast a different way?

rweiner

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 07:49:34 PM »
This is just a +1 to say that this problem persists.  Here's my experience:

Avast! prompted me to upgrade from 8.0.1497 to 2014.9.0.2006.  The upgrade seemed to run normally, but I noticed an error from a CMD window when the system was shutting down.  After that I could not boot normally -- boots took 10 minutes and no programs would launch.  I couldn't get Avast! to run at all -- it showed an RPC error each time.  I was unable to repair or uninstall it.  I rolled back to the restore point that the upgrade had set and was able to boot normally.  Avast! still wouldn't run or uninstall, but I was able to launch a browser and download the avastclear program. 

The rest of the process ran as expected (boot to safe mode, run avastclear, reinstall Avast!).  Unfortunately, since Avast! wouldn't run I couldn't back up my settings first. 

That's two hours I'll never get back.

This happened on a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit laptop, SP 1.