Author Topic: new problem  (Read 6279 times)

nrv

new problem
« on: February 19, 2006, 07:23:49 PM »
After downloading another version of avast home to remedy an earlier problem  which forced me to remove it due to a conflict with my ISP's mandatory new accelerator, the avast "A" in the tray has a red cicle with a line through it on a white background and I cannot get the protection to start.
I no longer have the accelerator on my computer, I removed it because of the problem.
I do not have nor did I have any other antivirus program on my computer other than avast home version.
What can I do here?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 08:05:52 PM by nrv »

Linuxrevolt

Re: new problem
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 11:37:59 PM »
I'm not an expert but if it was my computer I would do another uninstall of Avast, reboot, run Registry Mechanic 5.0 if your running XP. Reboot again and then reinstall Avast.

You may have already done these things or combinations of them but thought I would comment. Good Luck!!!

nrv

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 12:11:32 AM »
Thank you for your suggestions.

I actually have done previously all as you suggest.
The o/S is win 2000, though.

Ihave uninstalled and reinstalled avast three times today.
I had run a registry clean up twice because of the problems with the Netxl, immediately following removal of that program..

Thank you, though, for taking the time to offer your help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 01:48:15 AM »
Well the red circle may be unrelated to your accelerators, it is usually caused by having another (or had) AV installed. Have you had another AV installed, if so what and how did you get rid of it ?

I wouldn't have thought that having a web accelerators should cause a problem like this, the main issue is to get the proxy of the ISP's accelerators work together with avast's Web Shield and or the email scanner (if it effects that too).

There have been a number of threads about OnSpeed and another accelerators, so a forums search for that might help you. This is just one of those returned http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17080.0
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nrv

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 02:54:32 AM »
It was new to the tech support at Netxl, too when I first contacted them...but within the past few days I learned I was far from being the only one calling in to try and sort similar problems out.

Anyway, it would be great if someone could guide me into getting a version of Avast Home to function normally on my computer again.

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 04:58:23 AM »

Have you tried a repair of avast?    ???

You must be on-line to do the following ......

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > select avast! anti-virus > click Change/Remove > scroll down left pane & select Repair > click OK

Follow the directions and restart after all is finished.    :)

nrv

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 05:09:35 AM »
I did try the repair process through add-remove.
I tried it each time I installed a new version that wouldn't work.
Thank you for the suggestion, though.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 03:23:46 PM »
Repair won't do anything there is nothing to repair, avast is working as the default settings for web shield, you have to manually setup web shield to use the proxy used by Netxl.

Did you read the link I gave your do a forum search as I suggested ?

What is the proxy port that you have been told to use by your ISP/Netxl ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

nrv

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 09:47:29 PM »
Please forgive my inability to convey properly this point but Netxl is no longer on my computer.
I removed Netxl on Thursday.
Avast has not worked since.
I did a repair run at first and it still did not work.
I did a complete add-remove of avast from my computer and as always between each process, restarted the computer.
After trying to reinstall a working version from the version I had in my download folder, I went to Avast and downloaded a "fresh" version.
It does not run properly either.
I went through the proxy settings.
I tried everything the threads you sent me to  find in an earlier thread recommended.
I still cannot get avast to start.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 09:49:37 PM by nrv »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 10:16:27 PM »
Well if you have removed the accelerator then setting should be the default. I can't understand why if you have uninstalled, rebooted and installed avast it isn't running on the default settings.

I also can't understand your having removed Netxl when you stated this in the first post "my ISP's mandatory new accelerator." If it is mandatory then without it what happens, that should mean your ISP connection shouldn't work, I'm confused.

Avast has not worked since.
Can you expand this further, error/warning messages, description, etc.

As I said repair won't resolve this.
If you changed any settings based on the information given previously and then removed Netxl then they need to be reversed, but an uninstall, reboot and install of avast should have set things back to the default.

I'm sorry if I'm not grasping the problem I know nothing about Netxl or your ISP's proxy policy or settings, so I'm working in the dark.

nrv

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 10:54:31 PM »
My ISP posted an alert telling all users of their services that we would have to install the Netxl by a certain date or we might have difficulty surfing the web.
Their terms were the installation of Netxl was mandatory for continued service.

What I have since found out earlier today is the "mandatory" part was if we wanted to contiue the accelerated browsing capability and the difficulty would be in much slower browsing and downloads, etc..they apologise for the confusion.
I passed that confusion to you, apparently, when at the time of writing that thread that was all I knew.
Yes I can access the web, very slowly comparatively speaking.
I am writing here, am I not?
Being online is not a requirement for the installation of avast once it has been downloaded. once downloaded, and installed it doesn't require being online unless ready to register.
And since I have used Avast for over a year without problems, inluding version updates, I had not encountered anything like this.
Again..forget about Netxl..even its tech people couldn't think of it causing this problem.

These alerts came up this time only. I hadn't seen them previously.
I have a couple of error messages arising from my most recent installation attempt.

"unknown error; configuration is not loaded properly..error dbs CreateObject"

And when trying to manually start the scanners I get :

"scanner type" scanner task was not found, the operation could not be completed"

I installed this recent avast the same as the others.
I don't know why these alerts just now came up.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 11:41:31 PM »
Change to xml from dbs in the troubleshooting section of the menu see if that helps

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 12:31:50 AM »
The dbs CreateObject errors may well be at the heart of the problem and I'm surprised they haven't cropped up previously.

As essexboy mentions, right click the avast! icon and select Program Settings, then Troubleshooting and tick the Use XML storage instead of ODBC.
If you can't access this because of the dbs CreateObject error/issue, you can manually edit the avast4.ini file (using a text editor) and change database=odbc to database=xml, this is in the [Common] section.

nrv

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 04:00:44 AM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you..after changing the odbc to xml and restarting, Avast is now working correctly.
I am very grateful for your help.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 04:18:13 AM by nrv »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 03:10:27 PM »
Your welcome, glad we could help.