Author Topic: Have Any of You Used Immunet Protect?  (Read 7371 times)

Jack 1000

Have Any of You Used Immunet Protect?
« on: May 16, 2010, 09:17:15 PM »
This is a software that either works on its own or can be used in conjunction with other AV Programs such as Avast.  It's still in Beta, but the early reviews seem to be very positive.  Here is the review from CNET:

http://download.cnet.com/Immunet-Protect/3000-2239_4-10965674.html?tag=mncol

If you have Avast however, you should be just fine.  I use Avast for me AV and also run Malware Bytes on Demand.  But what I found interesting about Immunet Protect is that whenever it detects a threat, everyone in the community gets protected against it.  I'm not sure, but isn't this similar to the MS product improvement program that MS uses for some programs like Internet Explorer and Windows Defender?  Looking forward to community comments!

Also, do you think it would be bad to run this program in addition to Avast?  One reviewer on CNET said that CPU was at or near 100% when using the History option.

Jack

Hermite15

Re: Have Any of You Used Immunet Protect?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 09:20:48 PM »
it's been posted several times here on the forums...some seem to like it...a few others don't. I don't even want to hear about it. These guys (at somethingnet) are building a network happily relying on the work of other AV companies. Wondering how they haven't been sued yet for patent infringement ::)

PapaSmurf

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 05:49:44 AM »
it's been posted several times here on the forums...some seem to like it...a few others don't. I don't even want to hear about it. These guys (at somethingnet) are building a network happily relying on the work of other AV companies. Wondering how they haven't been sued yet for patent infringement ::)

What Logos said. Sharing info makes us all stronger, but leaching it just so some program has something to do is just a waste of resources.

oliverfriedrichs

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 11:05:37 PM »
Logos -

Immunet Protect 2.0 (in beta now) no longer monitors the detections from any other AV products.  We found that there were so few detections from other products anyways that it wasn't worth the time to maintain the code that does this.  2.0 now has two new generic engines that allows Immunet to capture suspicious files (ETHOS and SPERO respectively).

We still happily run alongside most other AV products for a great added layer of protection (almost 13 million threats now).  So if the 'community' feature was why you didn't like it, perhaps you will give it a second look.

By the way - did you know that ALL AntiVirus vendors run their competitors products in their labs to expand their detections?  Immunet only moved this model to the end point.  So there is really little difference between what we did and what the 30 other vendors in the industry are doing.

Oliver

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 11:27:49 PM »
@ oliverfriedrichs: feedback appreciated thanks ;)

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 01:10:31 AM »
I've been using it for a month or so. It takes little memory and works great alongside Avast! Threatfire, and WinPatrol. I would like to know what it scans because it seems like it only scans applications that install.

ardvark

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 10:05:30 AM »
By the way - did you know that ALL AntiVirus vendors run their competitors products in their labs to expand their detections?  Immunet only moved this model to the end point.  So there is really little difference between what we did and what the 30 other vendors in the industry are doing.

Please excuse my naivety, but how is this fundamentally different from what IObit was accused of doing? ???

Regards... :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 05:18:51 PM »
One thing is running a end-user program, compare, and then improve yours.
Another is to do reengineering to use the other companies signatures, like iObit.
Immunet is (will) earn money with the others detections. Shouldn't it buy a license to do so? Isn't it stealing after all? What can other antivirus companies do to protect themselves?
The best things in life are free.

ardvark

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 10:02:33 PM »
Hi Tech...

Thank you for your explanation. :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 10:05:49 PM by ardvark »