Author Topic: PIN Recovery Phone Number  (Read 48206 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: PIN Recovery Phone Number
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »
The best things in life are free.

failsafe

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 07:54:40 PM »
Hi,

are you sure? I just tried Settings - Recovery phone number - Custom number and it accepted 9 digits for me.

Filip

Sorry. I am referring to the Anti-Theft module - Basic settings - Recovery phone number. It acts like it can't decide if he is a PIN or a Phone#. I wish I knew how to attach a screen image (rather new to the Android world).

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 07:35:47 AM »
OK, I'll tell AT guys to look at it. It should be working fine in Mobile Security though.

Filip

EDIT: Just tried it with AT and it works fine (accepted way more than 10 digits).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:56:20 AM by Filip Havlicek »

Laynie

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 11:59:07 AM »
I'm having the same problem as everyone above.  The box comes up saying to enter a 4-6 digit number, and red letters saying "PIN Recovery not set. Please set the recovery phone number in the settings."   I can see "Settings" in the menu list right behind the message to "Enter avast PIN number" but it's all grayed out and you can't even access settings without first entering the PIN!!   Did I explain it well enough that you can at least picture the problem here now?   I decided to just uninstall the whole thing and go with a different mobile security company, but the damned thing won't even let me uninstall without -- you guessed it, the PIN number!!!   It's awful being stuck with NO mobile security except one you can't even use OR uninstall!!   I have a Sony Xperia Arc S LT18a.  PLEASE someone explain in English what the heck to do now besides throw this new phone in the river.  Thank you.

Udate:  I got it fixed. I turned off the phone, took out the battery, and started over.  Now it works fine - coincidence, I'm sure.  Now I have another problem. I have avast in stealth mode, renamed it something a thief wouldn't associate with a security system, etc.  Let's just pretend I named the fake file "jellybean." Now on the apps page it shows the  jellybean icon sitting right next to the avast icon. I tried dragging and dropping avast into jellybean and it doesn't work.  It's certainly not going to confuse a thief like this!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 02:30:33 PM by Laynie »

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 11:30:37 AM »
Hi,

did you enabled the Anti-Theft (~jellybean)? You have to go through "Basic settings" in the Anti-Theft app. Then the icon should disappear.

Filip

Tony122

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 08:22:09 PM »
Same issue here.  Downloaded app from Google PlayStore for Android device.  First window that appears:
Enter avast! PIN
PIN recovery not set
Please set the recovery phone number in the settings.

However, without the pin, one cannot access the settings because pressing OK or Cancel (without the correct pin entered) closes the entire avast app.

Now, trying to see the device from being logged into the avast account (via PC)...there is not a device recognized or associated to my gmail account that is utilized for both Google PlayStore and Avast.

Have already uninstalled and tried to re-install but, cannot get passed the PIN screen and device is still not in my avast account as recognized.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 09:08:39 PM »
Hi,

so you just installed Mobile Security and you didn't even get through the setup wizard due to the PIN dialog? Are you sure there is no Anti-Theft installed on your device AND you there wasn't any avast! product installed on your device before?

Filip

Tony122

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 10:41:51 PM »
It was installed once before on a brand new phone with no other security.  Avast Mobile Security was set-up on it once before but, now it asks for a PIN and the device is not recognized by going to the Avast account.  This is for my wife's phone.  My phone is setup just fine with zero problems.  Set them up exactly the same way but, with different access...my e-mail and her e-mail...both gmail.

Her device is not recognized under her login to avast and it won't go passed the PIN setup.  Have uninstalled and removed the battery on the phone.  Then, re-installed and still the PIN screen.  Upon initial setup the first time I must have overlooked entering a recovery phone number.  Now, I can't do anything on her device because, it was never acknowledged by avast the initial time.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 10:44:18 PM by Tony122 »

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 10:50:10 PM »
Hi,

everything suggests that you have Anti-Theft installed on your wife's phone. Look up how to uninstall Anti-Theft here on the forum. After you uninstalled both Mobile Security AND Anti-Theft, you can reinstall Mobile Security (and Anti-Theft afterwards) without the need of inserting your PIN.

Filip

Tony122

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 11:05:26 PM »
From this link:https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1034#idt_130
How to uninstall avast! Anti-Theft?
To uninstall avast! Anti-Theft please follow these steps:
At first, your avast! Password (4-6 digits, only numbers) will be needed. Please go into avast! Free Mobile Security and tap onto 'Settings'

Here open 'avast! Anti-Theft Removal Wizard'

Enter your avast! Password and follow the steps in avast! Anti-Theft Removal Wizard, which will guide you through the rest of the uninstallation process.

In case you do not have avast! Mobile Security installed and want to uninstall avast! Anti-Theft vie the wizard, please install avast! Mobile Security to be able reach the wizard.

Back to that good old circular logic again.   ::)  Can't uninstall it without having the PIN.  If I had the PIN I would not need to uninstall.

Tony122

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 11:20:43 PM »
When I uninstall avast! Mobile Security and then re-install the PIN window still pops up.  It also says that avast! is working on the device. However, when I log into her account at avast! it doesn't recognize any connected devices.

If it was installed successfully but, not correctly and it was working; shouldn't it at least be recognized by avast! as a connected device in her account?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 07:37:55 AM »
Hi,

you can uninstall Anti-Theft without the wizard. There is a guide on the forum somewhere. Basically you need to remove the hidden app from Device Administrators in device Settings then uninstall it via Applications in device Settings.

If you just uninstall Mobile Security and not Anti-Theft, the PIN will get pushed back to Mobile Security upon reinstall so there is no point in doing that. You need to uninstall both apps to remove the PIN requirement.

Filip

Bud33

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 05:07:56 AM »
OK -  - - -  I am just starting to use a smart phone and do not to texting as a rule (sent 4 total) and I have read  this thread from top to bottom and I still do not understand what they want for a recovery phone number.
I just installed Avast mobile security but try as I may I do not know what to enter for this phone number.   My  home phone? someone elses cell phoone ? or what?
Sorry to be such a dummy but I've started using computers in the early 1970's but I guess at 80 years I may need to give it up.
Along these same lines, if someone answers this, pleas do not use a bunch of abbreviations. (SAME REASON!)

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 09:32:30 AM »
Hi,

you should use a number capable of receiving SMS messages. It would also be good if you have decent access to the number because if you forget your avast! PIN, Mobile Security can send a message to this number with temporary PIN you can use to access the application and set a new PIN of your choosing. This temporary PIN will last for 30 mins so the access doesn't have to be immediate (also you can let Mobile Security send the message anytime you want and as many times you want so you can wait untill the number/device becomes available to you then send the message).

This whole thing will be better explained in the next version of Mobile Security.

Filip

Bud33

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 05:20:00 PM »
"
"This whole thing will be better explained in the next version of Mobile Security."

i SURE HOPE SO AS .  AS OF NOW, i HAVE NO IDEA OF WHAT i AM DOING.
 (sorry for the caps)
The only access I have to SMS is my phone which will not help.
My best bet would be to have it sent to my e-mail!