Author Topic: Win 7 won't boot. Stops after aswRvrt.sys in Safe Mode with Cmd Prompt  (Read 6763 times)

escapeplan

Greeting's.  I just moved from Southern CA to South Florida and have had my computer in storage for awhile... After unpacking, downloading updates, and restarting... Seems like I fell victim to black screen with a mouse cursor and cannot progress past aswRvrt.sys in Safe Mode.

I have no clue where my original discs are as I fear my wife may have thrown them out or misplaced them during the move.  I tried ISO images but got no where.. Any help would be greatly appreciated..  I really don't want to lose all of the important stuff on my hard drive...

Also - I didn't see an option in my bios to choose a USB in my boot sequence, so not sure if I can work around this or not...

I know you all have really been working hard on all of these issues, I appreciate your help in advance.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 01:52:49 AM by escapeplan »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Win 7 won't boot stops after aswRvrt.sys even in Safe Mode
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 10:01:03 PM »
expert Machiavelli is notifed about your case.....it may take some time before he is online   ;)

escapeplan

Re: Win 7 won't boot stops after aswRvrt.sys even in Safe Mode
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 12:23:13 AM »
Thanks Pondus, appreciate it.

Rufus Avast

Hi,

This is an issue i currently have a post up on - only with Vista. Essex boy kindly replied and went through how to boot from a USB, it worked fine for me.
My issue is exactly as you describe. Might help to watch both threads, good luck.

Machiavelli

• On a clean machine, please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

• If you are using Windows 8 consult How to use the Windows 8 System Recovery Environment Command Prompt to enter System Recovery Command prompt.

If you are using Vista or Windows 7 enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
    • Restart the computer.
    • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
    • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account an click Next.
    Note: In case you can not enter System Recovery Options by using F8 method, you can use Windows installation disc, or make a repair disc. Any Windows installation disc or a repair disc made on another computer can be used.
    To make a repair disk on Windows 7 consult: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
    • Insert the installation disc.
    • Restart your computer.
    • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.[/*]
    • Click Repair your computer.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account and click Next.
  • On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
    System Restore
    Windows Complete PC Restore
    Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
    Command Prompt

Select Command Prompt

• Once in the Command Prompt:
    • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
    • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
    • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
    • In the command window type e:\frst (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
      Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
    • The tool will start to run.
    • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    • Press Scan button.
    • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

escapeplan

Thanks for the help Machiavelli and also for the heads up Rufus!  Appreciate it.

Unfortunately I have a few issues.  Repair does not work as it stops at a black screen with a mouse cursor.  Also, my other computers all have different OS on them, and being that I just moved across the country, I do not know anyone that can help me make a windows 7 startup disc.

My computer was custom built a few years ago for gaming, although it's a bit dated now, I don't have any windows 7 code on the machine at all.. I may have had one on my old water cooled Koolance case, how ever I moved it into a new case a few years back.

I tried to download a windows 7 repair, and burned it to a ISO image on a start up disc, however after it was loading some files, it goes to a black screen and doesn't continue.. times out and restarts.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 04:23:36 PM by escapeplan »

Machiavelli

OK

If I'm understanding correctly you aren't able to enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options?

I tried to download a windows 7 repair, and burned it to a ISO image on a start up disc, however after it was loading some files, it goes to a black screen and doesn't continue.. times out and restarts.
OK, what do you mean with Windows 7 Repair? You mean installation disc? Sorry, but you have to clear me up a little bit.

Thanks & Bye
Machiavelli

escapeplan

Sorry...  yes i cannot access the system recovery options. The only option that goes anywhere is the safe mode with command prompt that holds up.

I tried to download an installation disc (maybe wrong one) so i could try to repair and get to a cmd prompt.

Machiavelli

I tried to download an installation disc (maybe wrong one) so i could try to repair and get to a cmd prompt.
Please try to get to the CMD Prompt. :)

escapeplan

Please try to get to the CMD Prompt. :)
Well, I got windows 7 installation disc from a guy at work... No luck.   So I went and bought a brand new Windows 7 OS installation disc... Not working... Windows goes through loading, then ultimately leads to a black screen with a mouse cursor.  It never makes it to the blue screen. I can't get to a CMD prompt for the life of me..

So I went back to the store and bought a new HDD and an external USB case so that I could just get a fresh install on a new HDD and then try and get my files off of the one getting the Avast error.  At this point, I just want to try and recover some of my Kids videos and pictures of recently deceased relatives. I found that I had quite a few back ups of files and pictures, just missing the past year or so.. Luckily most of that is on my google drive.

My new HDD and new OS are fine (obviously) but it doesn't let me go anywhere with the Sick HDD.... Only option it gives is to format it.... Can't get into it any other way.. Ubuntu, cmd prompts, etc...  It just hangs and errors out.  I'll just format it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:29:44 PM by escapeplan »

Machiavelli

Re: Win 7 won't boot. Stops after aswRvrt.sys in Safe Mode with Cmd Prompt
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 09:43:09 AM »
Hey.

So I went and bought a brand new Windows 7 OS installation disc.
Sorry, but this wasn't needed.

Can't get into it any other way.. Ubuntu, cmd prompts, etc...  It just hangs and errors out.  I'll just format it.
OK, also an error message when you try to connect it and access it via Windows Explorer? If you haven't formatted it yet we could try something if you like to get your Data back. You need just to inform me. :)