Author Topic: Avast 5.0.545, Thunderbird 3.0.4, and sending mail STMP, IMAP, POP3 (gmail, live  (Read 7127 times)

aname

Avast is causing Thunderbird to not work. Has anyone else had this issue or similar error message to the ones I get? I posted them below and and in two other replys to this post. If anyone uses thunderbird 3 and Avast 5, can you please post you settings? I would really appreciate it.

My e-mail worked fine until I installed Avast. I can no longer send e-mails and Avast does not even scan in- or out- going mail.
TB says:

"Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server smtp.gmail.com timed out. Try again or contact your network administrator."

When I disable all SSL:
"Sending of message failed.
An error occurred sending mail: Unable to authenticate to SMTP server smtp.gmail.com. It does not support authentication (SMTP-AUTH) but you have chosen to use authentication. Uncheck 'Use name and password' for that server or contact your service provider."

In Avast:
Troubleshoot settings are all clear fields.

IN THUNDERBIRD:
For IMAP (gmail)
Port 993

For POP (gmail)
Port 995

For POP (live)
Port 995

For SMTPs
gmail (IMAP)- Port 587
Gmail (POP)- port 587
live - port 465

Any Ideas???? I'm starting to go crazy! I attached some screen shots...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 07:10:11 PM by aname »

aname

BTW, I looked through some of the other forum posts on this topic but nothing has worked so far. I need my e-mail...

Here are some of the errors I currently get (attached)
For now I have SSL on in TB so that I can receive e-mail.

aname

More screen shots of TB settings.

I tried to run TB without IMAP/POP SSL choice but I stopped receiving e-mail altogether.

aname

I fixed it!!! ;D

In Avast my SMTP needed to be set to TLS for both Live mail and for Gmail. Also under Avast troubleshooting I needed to add 587,25 to SMTP ports.
 :D

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
I fixed it!!! ;D

Well, good you fixed it yourself. :)
Could you please also post this in the other thread you posted in, as I already PMed Logos about this.
Thanks..!
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0