Author Topic: Virus Cocktail, disabled system.  (Read 10802 times)

PhilDar

Re: Virus Cocktail, disabled system.
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 12:14:03 AM »
I tried system restoring in safe mode, it loaded back up as if I didn't system restore at all....... what is going on?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:41:06 AM by PhilDar »

modati

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 01:33:40 AM »
That is a very annoying problem I can see.  You have certainly tried a lot to remedy this.  It seems that I'm "that guy" to always recommend this but have you tried backing up all your data and formatting?  Hehe it's a lot easier than spending a great deal of time trying to find a "fix."

Sf.bin = avast scanning code executing thing.
Microsoft IMAPI (imapi.exe) = file info thing for vista/7.

Everybody else has suggested a great lot of tools to help you that is for sure.  If you have tried them and a system restore you may have no other choice.  Turn your computer off for 15 minutes and format that sucker, start from scratch.  Always choose Quick Format options if you are using an older version of windows.  No reason to do a HDD surface scan, unless you think your HDD is damaged.  Which could be causing you problems.  Sorry to be "that guy" but it's the best way to fix stuff within two hours!  Just be sure to do backups but if you can't good luck fixing it.

Just out of curiosity how long has it been since you have formatted your machine and done a fresh install?  You should do it about once every 3-10 months for optimal computer performance.  It could just be corrupted files on your computer that are causing errors and making your system lock up.

A format would help you determine if it was a software or hardware issue after as well.

PhilDar

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 02:39:14 AM »
I'm hoping to fix without reformatting, that usually is a last resort I don't want to lose all my history, files, all that. If there was a way to back up your data then reformat then I'd consider it, but I don't know how to do that, nor have I ever  personally formatted a computer to optimize performance.

modati

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 03:00:48 AM »
Out of curiosity are you able to do anything in safe mode?  Since you have tried a restore and it didn't work.  You should be able to install these programs/run scans and such that have been advised by the helpful posters.  It looks like you have access to a working machine.  Burn a CD w/ all the programs people have advised or use a USB drive to transfer it to the machine during safe mode (unless you already have).  Then run every scan available.  If you have already done this let us know what is going wrong in safe mode.  If not, this should allow you to pinpoint what the infected file(s) is/are.  That's going to be a big step if you can figure out through safe-mode what the culprit is.  Once you figure that out it's pretty much just step-by-step fixes after that.

I have a habit of backing everything up on my system weekly or bi-weekly anyway.  I have an external drive I just go bananas with.  If you have another machine it may be possible to mount the drive (as a slave) to it and extract whatever data you want to save.  Then format it to reinstall windows.  That's a decent way to do it.  I have a USB IDE HD enclosure I use to store stuff on my old 30-50GB drives as removable media and extract data from drives in the condition of yours.    Sorry you are having so much trouble.  Good luck let us know your progress and steps taken.

PhilDar

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 03:30:32 AM »
I already have Mbam and Avast 5.0 AV on the system installed. Could you give me a tutorial on how to open/access them in safe mode. If there is a way to update them too that would be gravy. Thanks for the feedback btw.

modati

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 04:53:36 AM »
Np.  Well... you should be able to open them like normal in safe mode.  There is "Safe Mode with Networking" you can try that option, there should only be one option on what OS to choose after that.  Technically you could download anything you need to in safe mode with this option.  Just be careful you are running pretty bare to the net.  Basically no protection.

Then you would want to select administrator (assuming windows XP here).  Don't choose the system restore option in safe mode (click yes I think or whatever option doesn't do system restore).  I don't remember what version of windows you have.  I am just going to throw out there you press F8 (for most situations) every few seconds as your computer starts up to access the menu.  It sounds like you already know but just giving some info in case.  But yeah after you get into safe mode just go to the start menu and open Avast! up and get to scanning.  It works just the same.  The resident shields don't work and ZoneAlarm won't load because it uses a windows service.  Safe mode is really limited so BE CAREFUL ON THE INTERNET!  If you download stuff only go to trusted sites!

Other than that if you can't transfer any files over to the compromised machine from the working one VIA burning a CD or USB device.  You are going to have to work with what you got.  HOPEFULLY you can get a filename/virus type so you can go from there to remove it VIA safe mode.  OR Avast! just removes it like magic :).  The best thing to do is get all these tools you have been advised on this thread, transfer them to the compromised machine in safe mode and scan the computer like there is no tomorrow.  You can try to download them in safe mode with networking just BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU GO!  Hehe.  It sounds like you can get into safe mode so there is still hope, not saying for definite though, to fix your machine.  Good luck!  Post if you have any other questions hopefully we can help.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 04:59:37 AM by modati »

PhilDar

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 07:48:13 PM »
Got back from vacation and system restore worked properly to a time prior to when all these problems were happening, except now the entire Avast AV system is corrupt and doesn't work, everything else seems normal.

Through the control panel I cannot add/remove the program, I've updated Windows properly followed the troubleshooting doesn't work. Now I'm restarting in safemode and using the uninstall tool to remove avast and reinstall the 5.0 version. After I uninstall and use 5.0 on startup it starts freezing now. Whats going on here? I'm going to try to just remove avast altogether and see if it works normally.