Author Topic: SpyHunter4 - Fake anti virus?  (Read 17476 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: SpyHunter4 - Fake anti virus?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 12:13:59 AM »
True but I myself have never trusted Enigma as it shows lots of problems and will only repair if you pay

Thundagia

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 01:16:24 AM »
(^) Exactly my thought, and ive heard more negative things than positive. I know its not an anti-virus, its just the easiest way to put it. ;) Plus they got their money anyways, so who cares.
Its very odd that they dont want you to remove their software, it seems too malicious.

techlike99

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 08:10:05 PM »
I'm not a fan either, but I wouldn't use such words as "fake", "scam", "not legitimate" when speaking about SpyHunter. It's just not fair. I would say, I don't recommend it but if you really want to try it, go ahead.

I agree, their model is unusual nowadays, scan/buy/remove. On the other hand, they will return your money if you are not happy with the results. Not a problem here.

REDACTED

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 11:18:38 AM »
I am posting out this message so it gets know on the web to everybody.
Spyhunter is the biggest scam on the web and I'll tell you why.
I bought Spyhunter after being infected. When I installed it, it discovered and fixed 212 threats.
Strange that AVG had seen none of those threats.
After that first scan, it reported threats everyday, some of them repetitively, while I wasn't downloading anything nor visiting suspected websites.
I had gotten suspicious already when paying (but neglected my internal warning signs out of panic about my infected laptop) because I paid by Paypal and got redirected from enigmasoftware.com to safecart.com, own by Revenuewire.
I was thinking: what company calls themselves Revenuewire???
Then in de order confirming email Spyhunter told me I was on automatic renewal but it would be easy to switch that off through the payment provider. I went to search for my Safecart account but I did not HAVE a Safecart account, although they had sent me an email. Now I got more suspicious. I went to my Paypal account and saw that Safecart had obtained permission for automatic payment every 6 months!
I googled and found that there is a special page for people who have been duped by Safecart on their Paypal account, some of them even get charged for stuff they never ordered but still have to pay for. On this page a Paypal employee gives you tips how to stop the automatic payments from within your Paypal account page.
I immediately uninstalled Spyhunter and bought Bitdefender Total Security. Bitdefender found no infections on my laptop at all and today I am still using it to great satisfaction.
Yesterday I went into my Spyhunter account to ask for a deletion of the account. But also, I had noticed that my password for that account is just my first name and last name together. Now how vicious can you be? This is THE ultimate proof for me that Spyhunter is malware, because what antimalware company would 1. send you the password by email 2. make a password that is the most unsafe ever 3. forbid you to change the password (when I asked for it, the answer was:

Response for your Enigma Software Group account information request:

Account Information:
===================
        **USERNAME:                     firstname.lastname@gmail.com
        **PASSWORD:                     firstnamelastname

Thank you for your contact!
enigmasoftwaregroup.com

And then I started looking back. When did I buy and install Spyhunter? I looked into Paypal history. Yes, October 30th. Strange, because my Skrill credit card was hacked on November 4th from London and charges were tempted till on the 11 th of November a real charge was made. I discovered that the next morning and Skrill booked it back and canceled the credit card.

Putting things together: Oct. 10 installed Spyhunter, from a UK based company, paid through a UK based company.
Nov. 4th first attempt to charge on my Skrill credit card (a UK based company) from a person in London, UK (ordered sports good and pizza's in London).

Spyhunter scam fake in reality vicious malware - donotinstall spyhunter - spyhunter deceptive

Offline Michael (alan1998)

• Massive Poster
  • Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 03:02:37 PM »
EDIT: Requested logs attached (will be adding more)
EDIT 2: Removing all attachments from the posts, so no one can access any goody information. ;)

The logs do not output any personal info other then the name of the accounts and the computer name. Nothing like IP's or Credit Card info (If you've used it on the PC) is released or even generated.
VOLUNTEER

Senior Security Analyst; Sys Admin (Linux); Forensics/Incident Response.

Security is a mindset, not an application. Think BEFORE you click.