Author Topic: Is avast! 6.0.1000 compatible with Win 2000 sp4?  (Read 12541 times)

Sparxx

Re: Is avast! 6.0.1000 compatible with Win 2000 sp4?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 07:10:38 AM »
        ((((((((  Reply @ David R  ))))))))

I mentioned in an earlier reply to SafeSurf (forgot to mention to you) that I have left Norton Internet Security on my machine, but all aspects of the antivirus component have been deactivated (scheduled scans, real-time protection).  This is in order to keep the other components (firewall, systemworks, etc).  I don't think that should cause a problem.  Let me know if it does.

You must unninstall Norton, and use it's unnistall tool after that to clean the system from it's remnants, avast! will not work with another antivirus present in the system.

SafeSurf

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 08:20:07 AM »
You must unninstall Norton, and use it's unnistall tool after that to clean the system from it's remnants, avast! will not work with another antivirus present in the system.
Sorry for the late reply, but agree with the above.  You cannot run 2 AV's (or disable part of an AV and run another AV...basically having 2 AV's in your system) at the same time because this will cause conflicts.  Therefore you need to uninstall Symantec via their uninstaller tool: http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN, then reboot your machine.  Disabling is not the same as uninstalling

Since Symantec is known to leave remnants even after using the uninstaller, I also suggest that after running their tool and rebooting that you go into Safe Mode > Advanced Search >
enter "sym" into the search box > and again type in symlcbrd.sys (which is a Symantec Core Service BIOS reader) and if anything comes up you can delete it.  Repeat the process third time, but type in NIS or NAV (what ever you had on your machine), and then type Symantec and see what entries come up.  If in doubt of a file, right click on it for Properties to see if it is a Symantec file...if so you can delete it and empty your recycle bin while in Safe Mode, then restart your machine.

If you have a cleaner on your machine, like CCleaner Slim http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds, run the cleaner and registry cleaner (you can make a back up of any registry fixes in My Documents temporarily) after doing the Symantec uninstall.  Most of us here use CCleaner.  If you did end up removing a lot of Symantec files, you may also want to consider defragging your machine to free up some space as well, then reboot.

Should Avast give you any problems after this, since you did have 2 AV's on your machine, try an Avast Repair first:
- Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > Avast Antivirus.
- Scroll down and choose Repair function in the pop-up window.
- Reboot.

Let us know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 03:48:56 PM »
Sorry but deactivation won't be enough as there will still be low level drivers enabled and it is these that will/can come into conflict.

Norton is notorious for not playing nice with other security applications as it gets its hooks (low level drivers) into everything and this is I feel what you are seeing. There are many such posts in the forums of issues after having had Norton installed.

Now I don't know if you could uninstall it, but it can be a bit of a pig to remove everything (so I would still recommend the use of the tool) and reboot. Then you may be able to do a custom install and don't install the AV element; I don't know if this is even possible or how successful this might be.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SafeSurf

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 09:05:15 AM »
@ David,

I gave the OP instructions (see my previous post just before yours) on how to uninstall the other AV and look for remnants as I am very familiar with this having had to do this on too many other machines.  :P  I also feel this is the OP's problem as well and he/she needs to completely uninstall it.  Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 03:33:22 PM »
Yes and I gave them in reply #13 on the previous page http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=73820.msg613277#msg613277 ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Wonnerber Snerr

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 10:52:31 AM »
NOTE TO ALL:  my problem has been resolved.

FIX:  Removed Norton Internet Security, then run their uninstall tool. 

Also looked into my Windows updates, as someone had mentioned that Update Rollup 1 was required.  Discovered it was not installed. Couldn't figure out why it wasn't being offered.  Did a little digging, and remembered having hid an update (.net framework 1.1) because it never would install...  it would 'say' it installed, but would always reappear at the next update check.  So I searched the forums for a fix for that, got the updates up thru 2.1 SP1, and no more were offered.  Then a wonderful thing happened...  Update Rollup 1 was offered!  Installed it, and now avast is finally running as it should.

Thank you all for your help.  It sure is nice...  peace of mind!

Till the next computer phuck-up...  in about 2 days I suspect :)

Again, THANK YOU ALL, VERY MUCH.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 03:24:23 PM »
You're welcome.