Author Topic: Avast! Update won't load on startup  (Read 22124 times)

rcpowell2279

Re: Avast! Update won't load on startup
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2010, 02:52:18 AM »
Now Winpatrol is alerting me to "a new auto Startup Program has been detected. Is this acceptable? ..I've never heard of this one, although it is a Microsoft app. I've never seen it in startup...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2010, 03:00:40 AM »
Now Winpatrol is alerting me to "a new auto Startup Program has been detected. Is this acceptable? ..I've never heard of this one, although it is a Microsoft app. I've never seen it in startup...
Which is the application name?
The best things in life are free.

rcpowell2279

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2010, 03:02:29 AM »
I guess giving you the name of the file might be useful, it's Userinit.exe... I just installed MBAM and Winpatrol in place of Teatimer. Is one of these the culprit?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2010, 03:24:27 AM »
It will be good to post where is it, I mean, the file path.
Also, you can submit it to www.virustotal.com and check.
Userinit is a legit file, but it should be already there in "hidden" startup entries of WinPatrol.
The best things in life are free.

rcpowell2279

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2010, 03:51:00 AM »
Sorry, Boss. The full path is c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe. All I read says it's bona fide, but I wonder why it's new? I suppose I'll accept its addition.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2010, 02:52:17 PM »
You should be okay here. Bona fide, a reading by WinPatrol.
If not, in situations like this, one of the members who is more knowing of WinPatrol - like YoKenny - would add to the thread.

I think the changes that you have made are good, despite that the problem is not yet resolved, you have enhanced yr software platform.

This issue which you have (thankfully) brought to attention is not exclusive to avast as you can see from the following link -

http://mcafee-ext.hosted.jivesoftware.com/thread/21005?tstart=-1

Nor exclusive to security programs -

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2901913?tstart=0

What I suggest may be the issue - insecure installation of the application to the 64bit architecture for one reason or another, but evidently the application faulting as the outcome. Whether this will prevent the application from performing in runtime is another thing, and it may in fact run as per normal even though the error message is generated and the app may close at Startup. (which may explain why yr avast might continue to update as per norm, although seems it wont right now).  Regardless, as DavidR has pointed out, it appears the issue is one for the devs to deal with - whether writers of the app or Microsoft itself (which seems more likely).

The problem here is that although you may be able to work on despite this issue or perhaps craft a workaround, there is a possibility that the insecure install lays open a vulnerability in the internet explorer platform, and this vulnerability may be exploited by malware. That said, I am not sure what is yr best course of action, and granted I am only speculating about the situation you are experiencing. Unfortunately I cannot replicate the situation, as much as I would like to.

There is also the possibility that one of yr other third party programs is causing this error situation and it is not an issue with 64bit architecture. However, I would not like to speculate further than I already have, and suggest you could possibly take the matter up with Microsoft support.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

rcpowell2279

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2010, 03:53:28 PM »
Thanks for your insights. This morning's startup went well. Now that Spybot and Teatimer have gone, and Winpatrol has settled in, I had NO MESSAGES! Woo-hoo! Avast updated by itself immediately, no warnings from Winpatrol, all quick and quiet. I think maybe you've got it. Let's call this closed, at least for now. Thanks again!

YoKenny

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then select then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

In Account Related Settings select Hide email address from public? to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your bellsouth.net email address.