Author Topic: XP Home problems with avast 6.0 free  (Read 6426 times)

drescherjm

XP Home problems with avast 6.0 free
« on: March 08, 2011, 01:58:30 AM »
After upgrading avast a clients XP home machine will not display the windows XP taskbar or start menu and many of automatic services (including DNS client) will not start (RPC timeout). Uninstalling avast fixes the problem. Reinstalling and the problem is back. I thought this was caused by a bad interaction with Zone Alarm but after disabling that the problem remains. Any ideas what to try.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: XP Home problems with avast 6.0 free
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 02:26:11 AM »
Unfortunately disabling ZA doesn't stop whatever drivers it loads on startup from being loaded and still running when disabled.

What version of avast was on the system before updating ?
How was the system upgraded, update from the avast manual program update or a clean install ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

drescherjm

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 03:28:49 AM »
Originally the client updated avast from a 5.X version. I believe she did that 2 to 3 weeks ago.

When I got it I disabled zone alarm (stopping the services) and stopping the autostart. Then I updated windows will all updates from Microsoft update and then I uninstalled avast and rebooted and all the problems were fixed. After this I did a fresh install of the todays current download version of avast 6 (not sure of the exact version I am at home now..) Anyways all was fine till a reboot then all of the problems were back. So I uninstalled again and that is when I found this forum. Anyways just after I posted I saw the link to the 6.1 beta. I installed that but it did not fix the issue. Again after the reboot no taskbar, no start menu, slow to appear desktop, more than 1/2 of the autostart services including DNS client were not started and although some of these would start DNS client was one of the ones that refused to start with an error about an RPC timeout.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 04:51:26 AM »
I'm at a loss as to what else to suggest, but there have been other problems in the forums related to ZA and avast. This however, is completely different in your losing the taskbar, start menu and auto-start services; I haven't seen this combination of problems together.

I doubt the 6.0.1021 pre-release version would have made any difference to that, as there doesn't seem to be anything in the list of changes/fixes that might be related.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=73110.0

What flavour of ZA is this Pro or full Security Suite, etc. ?
As there could be conflicting functions, even if disabled.

One area to test is in the avastUI, Real-time Shields, Behavior Shield, Expert Settings and uncheck the Monitor the system for unauthorised modifications (possibly set the action to take to Ask) and see if that makes any difference. I suspect that there may be some sort of hooking in ZA that might be considered unauthorised modification.

Short of (or instead of unchecking the above option) that you could try uninstalling ZA, Set the XP firewall to on and reboot and see if that makes a difference.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Daris

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 05:43:52 AM »
If your friend or client didn't click on the Avast button located in the "Maintenance" section of Avast  Then You would have had to download the 'Avast 5 Uninstall Utillity Tool" ... then you would install Avast 6...Do a search with Windows Explorer "Start" "Search" Just to see...Also which windows are you running? XP Vista Windows 7... Also What other Security software is installed on the computer besides Zone Alarm?  Also check for any other Antivirus that comes to your mind and do a search for them also....Example...Norton usually comes pre installed on most computers....so does Security Essentials...If You find any other Antivirus....Download that version of Uninstall utillity tool from their website...
   By your description so far it sounds like there is leftovers of another Antivirus or Firewall with antivirus that hasn't been uninstalled properly..Luck... and update us on any changes

zerospam

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 07:39:07 PM »
This however, is completely different in your losing the taskbar, start menu and auto-start services; I haven't seen this combination of problems together.
I and several others have reported the same or a very similar problem with Avast 6. See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=72158.msg608390#msg608390 .

PCouture66

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 03:25:48 AM »
Hello everyone, new poster here. I've had the same issue last week when updating to version 6 (I use ZA too) where the auto-start function suddenly became disabled. I had to get a tech to reinstall XP on my PC and reformat. When I downloaded Avast and ZA afterwards, I experienced the same issue during the whole weekend. A relative suggested that I disable Avast to finish installing drivers and programs, and lo and behold, it works! I don't know why as Avast used to be quite user-friendly in the past. Any chance of being informed on an update? For now, I need to look for another antivirus...:sad:

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 03:35:28 AM »
Hello everyone, new poster here. I've had the same issue last week when updating to version 6 (I use ZA too) where the auto-start function suddenly became disabled. I had to get a tech to reinstall XP on my PC and reformat. When I downloaded Avast and ZA afterwards, I experienced the same issue during the whole weekend. A relative suggested that I disable Avast to finish installing drivers and programs, and lo and behold, it works! I don't know why as Avast used to be quite user-friendly in the past. Any chance of being informed on an update? For now, I need to look for another antivirus...:sad:
Please, do not post twice the same, just double the help effort.
Follow http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=72158.msg624123#msg624123
The best things in life are free.