Author Topic: Web shield and Mail shield doesn't work after restart  (Read 5707 times)

orguttman

Web shield and Mail shield doesn't work after restart
« on: May 20, 2010, 09:05:23 PM »
Hello,
Yesterday I install Avast! 5, allways after a restart the Web Shield and Mail Shield doesn't work.
I try to click on "Fix Now", on the "start" button in the shields' panels but only after long time those shields are start to work.
I try uninstall a lot of time,  I used the regular uninstallation and the Avast! remover, and then re-install, but still this is doesn't work.
I checked the Services and saw that "Avast! Web Shield" and "Avast! Mail Shield" are start manual and not automatic, I try to change it to "automatic" but "Access is denied".
In my brother's Computer those shields work exellent and there i wasn't touch anything.
So I don't know what to do, I tried everything, please help me.
NB
My system is Windows XP SP3. (In my brother's computer too.)

Good Weekend and Shabbat Shalom.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Web shield and Mail shield doesn't work after restart
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 09:15:27 PM »
They only need to be manual start as they are user selected options, you the user select if the Web Shield or Mail Shield should run. If set to auto that wouldn't be yourchoice.

The self-defence module may well be blocking this in any case.

How long does it take them to start ?
I have XP Pro SP3 and generally they start immediately, though I have had it happen where they took a few seconds.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What other security based software do you have installed ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

orguttman

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 11:53:32 PM »
Okay, I disabled the Avast! self-defence, then quickly turn those shields into a automatic service and re-enable the Avast! self-defence.
After this I restart the computer and the Web Shield started immediately but still the Mail Shield started only after more than ten-twenty mintues.
I don't use Outlook or other E-Mail program, so this shield is not so important to me, but still i want to fix it.
How do I do that?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 12:12:05 AM »
Start by answering the questions asked in my last post as remnants of previous AVs and other security applications can have an impact.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

orguttman

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 12:22:22 AM »
I don't have any other anti-virous, I had trial of Mcafee and Free AVG and I uninstall them.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 01:17:37 AM »
There may be remnants, so try these tools:
- You didn't say which McAfee version, so here are the various tools:
- McAfee has an uninstall tool that you could run to ensure any possible remnants are removed.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe

Or http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

2007 version - http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Also see - How do I uninstall SecurityCenter? http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=71525

- Ensure that all remnants of AVG are gone - AVG8.x (or higher) Remover, download tool from here, http://www.avg.com/download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.

orguttman

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 11:21:10 AM »
Still, the Mail Shield is don't working.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 02:19:33 PM »
So you have run both of those removal tools and no change.

It may be best to do a clean reinstall of avast:
- Download the latest version of avast, 5.0.545 http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again (if you didn't save your last download). Use that when you reinstall.

- Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, aswClear5.exe find it here and save it to your HDD (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0).
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

badgefly

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 10:54:03 PM »
I started having the same problem as well today, these two shields start disabled after reboot and need to be enabled manually.

System is Vista SP1 (or whatever the latest SP is anyway)

The only other security program is Comodo firewall (edit: Avast is firewallless version). Nothing else was ever installed on this PC.
Curiously enough, in all of the last reboots when avast services were disabled on boot, Comodo did not launch automatically either and I had to launch it manually. I had this problem with Comodo occur a few times in the past, but never several times in a row,
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 10:57:08 PM by badgefly »

orguttman

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 04:58:20 PM »
Please somebody help?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 05:03:52 PM by orguttman »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 06:04:25 PM »
Have you not followed the suggestion in my previous post to do a clean reinstall ?

orguttman

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 08:46:22 PM »
I have did all, the shields are still doesn't work.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 09:10:42 PM »
Well the firewall shouldn't stop the shields starting (as far as I'm aware). However the Comodo firewall doesn't come as a stand alone firewall application any more but as a part of the Comodo Internet Security (CIS) suite, which comes with an antivirus element. So exactly what have you got installed from comodo ?

badgefly

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 07:38:03 PM »
Well the firewall shouldn't stop the shields starting (as far as I'm aware). However the Comodo firewall doesn't come as a stand alone firewall application any more but as a part of the Comodo Internet Security (CIS) suite, which comes with an antivirus element. So exactly what have you got installed from comodo ?

Firewall and defense module, but not antivirus. I also had them both running for ages, until this problem appeared one day. (no changes were done to the system, and the new only program that was installed recently was Nokia Ovi Suite for connecting the mobile phone).

Edit: also not sure if it's relevant, but a couple weeks ago my Bios settings were reset (probably because of a power spike). They were fixed, but the PC had a date set to several months in the future for a day or two. Can this interfere with finding the most recent version of something?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 07:45:15 PM by badgefly »