Author Topic: Problem with Avast! Anti-spam Whitelist Regarding MailChimp Domain Email Address  (Read 3863 times)

Miriwich

I am experiencing a problem with avast!'s Anti-Spam whitelist regarding senders who use the services of MailChimp.  This problem is very similar to that with the MS Outlook '07 and '10 Rules function.  The problem is that when any given sender sends mail via MailChimp,Avast! Anti-Spam (like MS Outlook Rules)fails to recognize the email address domain name(s) used by MailChimp.  This domain name changes constantly.  For example, the sender, named "Olvidia Systems" will send you an email via MailChimp domain "Olvidia Systems <newsletters=olvidia.com@mail92.us2.mcsv.net> on behalf of Olvidia Systems <newsletters@olvidia.com>".  Avast! Anti-Spam will see this address and process this message as **SPAM**.  The number "92.us2" in the domain name of this example email address will change itself to another number, either "77.us2" or  "95.us4 or "122.us2" or "81.us3" or any other number which indicates a different email domain (or server).
Also, when you whitelist this address, for some reason, either because of the domain name syntax (the presence of an "equals" sign in the host name), or because the address contains the words "on behalf of", avast! Anti-Spam will also not recognize the address(es) as well.
For these reasons, avast! Anti-spam will continue to process the messages as **SPAM**, and continue putting them into the Junk Mail folder, despite the fact that you have already white listed that particular MailChimp email address.  This can become a monumental annoyance, which is downright aggravating.

One way that I solved this problem with MS Outlook '07 and '10 Rules is by configuring Outlook to examine the sender's name  rather than the sender's address, being that email marketing services such as MailChimp, Constant Contact, and many others create this email addressing problem by the way that they operate.  The sender's name will be used as the rule's action criteria, thus ending the problem with the inability ofcomplex email addresses to be seen by the rule (or in this case, by the avast! Anti-Spam whitelist).

Perhaps the folks at avast! can add the ability to configure avast! Anti-Spam's whitelist to use the sender's name as criteria to whitelist a trusted sender as an additional alternative to using just the email address.  I feel that doing this will end the problem of frayed nerves and frustration for a lot of people.

Does anyone already have a way to solve this problem with the avast! Anti-Spam whitelist? If so, please share that with me and other users who may be having the same problem.

Thank you.
Miriwich

no_bubble

I used to use mailchimp for some months and had the same issue! I found that the problem is that the sender is not certified so it could be some phishing attempt. Anyone can send with a sender id like that (in behalf of..) so its not very safe to whitelist it. I was surprised to see that most Email Marketing sistems doesnt have any way to go around this issue!!

A couple of months ago i found these guys www.e-goi.com, they allow you to certify/authenticate your sender id on your DNS so the sender is as if it was sent by your own server.. instead of <<xpto_mycompany@mailchimpstuff.com>> in behalf of <<xpto@mycompany.com>> it will appear like this: xpto@mycompany.com.

because your dns alows e-goi platform to send on your behalf avast will know that and it wont consider spam or phishing.
hope it may help you

Cheers!