Author Topic: windows 7 explorer freezing ?  (Read 25808 times)

YoKenny

Re: windows 7 explorer freezing ?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 10:06:53 PM »
@ csadoian

I do not have a problem with avast! on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit system.
It never had McAfee nor is it a Dell system.

deschreiber

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 12:01:50 PM »
I am having the same problem with Windows Explorer hanging after I upgraded from from Vista to Win7. After my upgrade I completely removed my previous virus checker (Computer Associates, who wanted me to pay another yearly subscription for an upgrade) and installed Avast. Then the problem began.

I went through a fairly lengthy process of trying to identify the source of the problem, including going to techsupportforum.com, where I seemed to be getting support from a Microsoft Most Valuable Professional or a member of the Microsoft Tech Team. I ran some utility for him which produced technical information and sent it along. His analysis was that the problem seemed to lie with my software firewall or virus checker. Since I don't have a software firewall installed, that leaves Avast as the culprit.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-vista-windows-7-support/439033-windows-7-windows-explorer-crashes.html#post2481494

Until I find a solution - or change my antivirus program - I'm making do with third-party file managers (xExplorer, xyExplorer, A43), but they are a stopgap measure. There are still a few circumstances in which I need the original Windows Explorer.

It looks like a bug in Avast. I wonder if the new version coming out in January might fix the problem?

David
Toronto

circlingsky

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2009, 04:21:55 PM »
I've been having this same issue on 2 computers since purchasing in early December.  Both are Dell (Studio XPS 8000 & Inspiron Laptop 1545).  Initially came with Norton but I completely uninstalled using the removal tool.  The only workaround I've found to keep explorer from freezing on first control panel access after reboot is to go to start menu properties and choose "display control panel as a menu" instead of a link.  No freezes, I can maneuver around in CP in any direction or view after initially accessing through the "menu" rather than the link.  No clue why.

Just thought I'd share in case it helps someone figure this out.  I've been searching for an answer since first noticing the problem.

*Forgot to add that both systems are W7 Home Premium 64 bit with Avast installed.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 04:24:19 PM by circlingsky »

Paragon

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 05:53:24 AM »
I've been having this same issue on 2 computers since purchasing in early December.  Both are Dell (Studio XPS 8000 & Inspiron Laptop 1545).  Initially came with Norton but I completely uninstalled using the removal tool.  The only workaround I've found to keep explorer from freezing on first control panel access after reboot is to go to start menu properties and choose "display control panel as a menu" instead of a link.  No freezes, I can maneuver around in CP in any direction or view after initially accessing through the "menu" rather than the link.  No clue why.

Just thought I'd share in case it helps someone figure this out.  I've been searching for an answer since first noticing the problem.

*Forgot to add that both systems are W7 Home Premium 64 bit with Avast installed.

Similar situation...bought a new Dell Inspiron for the wife for Christmas. Uninstalled the pre-installed McAfee before installing Avast. Every time I would launch Control Panel it would cause the Windows Explorer not responding. Would close/restart explorer then Control Panel would work. Ran the McAfee removal tool, reinstalled Avast...same problem. The problem would go away every time I would uninstall the latest Avast Home.

I did your trick of changing the Control Panel settings and it is a work around, for now. I do NOT want to get rid of Avast, so I hope the next release has a fix.

Gowrielad

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 02:25:08 PM »
I've been having the same problem with my son's new Inspiron 1545 (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit).  However, the difference with everyone else who has posted here so far, is that I hadn't got around to installing Avast on it.

I decided to run it for a week or so with the software that it came with from Dell (as I usually like to make sure everything is OK 'out of the box' before making a change)- so it is running McAfee at the moment and I get the 'Explorer is not responding' problem.  Exactly as Slartibartfast described it.

Whatever is causing this can't only be linked to systems running Avast.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 05:14:52 PM »
I've been having the same problem with my son's new Inspiron 1545 (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit).  However, the difference with everyone else who has posted here so far, is that I hadn't got around to installing Avast on it.

I decided to run it for a week or so with the software that it came with from Dell (as I usually like to make sure everything is OK 'out of the box' before making a change)- so it is running McAfee at the moment and I get the 'Explorer is not responding' problem.  Exactly as Slartibartfast described it.

Whatever is causing this can't only be linked to systems running Avast.

I had a feeling this wasn't an avast issue.  For some reason, I don't think McAfee or Norton are being fully removed from the computers before avast gets installed.  Regardless of what the posters are saying.

For those still having the problems, try running the removal tools once again.  It may not have worked through everything the first time.  We've said it time and time again around here, some A/V's are harder to get rid of than viruses...
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

circlingsky

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 02:12:57 AM »
This poster isn't saying it's an Avast problem.  :)  Just happen to have Avast, am a visitor to these forums and saw the problem mentioned.  (Norton IS completely removed from my system for the record.)  Actually, what I'm seeing in common as I research is Dell computers rather than anything to do with any of the AV programs.  The workaround I shared earlier isn't a cure but it's prevented the crash from occurring.  Would love to know what's causing the problem!  Let me add that I'm very happy with Avast after having Norton crammed down my throat since buying my first computer.  Would never go back.  Oh, and I'm happy with my Dells, too, even with their CP glitch :)

pjb005

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2010, 01:25:29 AM »
Okay, i'm having the same issue as the OP. I just recently received a Dell Inspiron 1545 as a Christmas gift and am running into this same error. After initial boot-up I can't access Control Panel as it causes explorer.exe to freeze and required me to restart it. When restarted, everything seems to run normal but it's quite an inconvenience. After reading some of the previous posts and deciding that the problem is most likely with Avast and not with my laptop, I proceeded to clear off Avast using the removal tool. When Avast has been removed in Safe Mode, everything runs normal even on initial boot-up and I don't have the problem with Control Panel causing the laptop to freeze up. I do not have this problem on my desktop or several other laptops and desktops which I have installed Avast on. I have a 64-bit operating system with Windows 7. It seems to be occuring only with Windows 7 64-bit. If anyone has any other suggestions other than using different antivirus it would be appreciated as I have greatly enjoyed my experience using Avast.

Thanks

YoKenny

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2010, 12:29:17 PM »
Dell systems come pre-installed with a lot of un-necessary applications that's why PC Decrapifier exists:
http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/home

gandalf2010

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 08:51:09 PM »
Hi all,

I am having the same problem mentioned above.
I am using windows 7 home premium edition, on a blank PC (where no AV was ever previously installed).
On my previous desktop (WinXP OS) i was using AVAST4.8x and it is a very good AV.
since i installed avast on the new desktop, at the second time i restarts my PC win7 explorer freezes!
if i uninstall AVAST, the problem disappears.
As far as i understands (reading previous threads) a new version of AVAST is going to be released at January.
I hope you will fix this problem.
If there is a solution to this problem or any idea i will appreciate if you will share it with me.
best regards,
G

spg SCOTT

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
Hi all,

Since this thread is a little dormant I am not too sure whether users are still experiencing this, however I have just found an avast! support article which seems to possibly explain the reason for the freezes:

avast! support article >> Control Panel under Windows 7 may start freezing on some Dell computers after installing avast! Antivirus

So the instruction is to ensure that everything is up to date and to update drivers from Dell themselves.
The support page (for the UK - you can change the location at the top) would be here: http://support.euro.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

From there you can locate the relevant drivers outlined in the support article...

Hope this helps,

-Scott-

jimmy2u

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 07:26:11 PM »
I am also having a problem with Windows 7 and AVAST.  I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and AVAST 4.8.1368.  AVAST seems to be running fine during normal operation of my computer.  The problem is during the initial boot up of the day.  When Windows 7 boots up, AVAST also starts and then check for Virus Definitions update.  As soon as the little blue window comes up in the lower right portion of the screen, that is when my computer freezes up.  Nothing I can do except to push the button to shut the computer down and then restart the computer.  This is annoying of course.  Are there any suggestions for a fix for this problem?  What I did as a temporary fix was to change the settings from Automatic updates to Manual updates.  Hopefully this won't allow AVAST to update at boot up.  I will then manually update AVAST when everything else is up and running.  Thank you for your time and help in this matter.  I really love this AntiVirus program and wouldn't want to run anything else.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2010, 07:30:30 PM »
Set the connection to not always connected to the internet and that may cure it

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 07:33:55 PM »
Avast 5 will soon be released, i am running Avast 5.0.332 beta3 on Win7/32 and it is working perfect

PaulC

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2010, 11:43:17 AM »
I'm another Dell user with Win 7 64bit and Avast 4.8, I have the same problem, here's a copy of the posts to http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7files/thread/08118bac-3ef1-4208-8192-d8252d7cc660

When I first start Control Panel, the Control Panel windows says "not responding", I then get the Windows dialog asking to restart the app etc.  After the Explorer restart I can access the Control Panel functions without a problem (thankfully).  This problem is 100% repeatable after logging in.

The Windows Event Log details are as follows:
The program Explorer.EXE version 6.1.7600.16404 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
 Process ID: ae0
 Start Time: 01ca99bb77a8fa90
 Termination Time: 0
 Application Path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
 Report Id: 619fe1b6-05dc-11df-b48f-0024e8f2bcb4

The problem only happens after a restart, not if I restart Explorer then logout and login.  I used the Win 7 Clean Boot procedure (msconfig utility) to track it down to the Startup item Avast ALWIL.  ie. disable the startup of this item and the problem goes away.  This suggests its a problem with Avast 4.8

Regards
Paul C