Author Topic: SERIUS THREAT Virus blocked access to files and programs HELP!  (Read 7481 times)

Seadog

SERIUS THREAT Virus blocked access to files and programs HELP!
« on: January 31, 2012, 04:21:31 AM »
I am trying to rebuild my files and programs and I am following essexboy's blog on the subject http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=profile;u=11091 I've downloaded some programs he suggested and I am posting results of the scans here I hope someone can make sense of these and give me some direction because I am stuck. As part of the steps he suggests I downloaded and ran RogueKiller scan but I don't know which files to delete??, enclosed pleae find few reports from this scan.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: SERIUS THREAT Virus blocked access to files and programs HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 06:25:28 AM »
Essexboy is notified

he is usually in here around 08:00pm - 11:59pm UK time

OBS: and dont start a new topic when you post new logs.....keep it all in one topic

to Essexboy....logs posted here also  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=92428.0
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 06:32:12 AM by Pondus »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 10:17:29 PM »
Hi lets see if the new aswMBR cures this blighter

Go Start > Run
Type in CMD
In the black box that opens type in the following

aswMBR.exe -ap 1

As soon as aswMBR completes reboot and then re-run the aswMBR scan
Post the log here

Seacap

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 12:05:01 AM »
I ran CMD, that brought up black screen but I get "aswMBR.exe -ap 1  is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" when I ran the above command.

Dir of C:\ and dir:\ of few directories I can still access show no files even though hard drive is 2/3 full also, how do I restore my download program to download fix files from Internet .

Incidentally I Google d aswMBR.exe and several reports like this one: http://www.removespywarereviewed.com/exe-a/aswmbr-exe.html say it's a virus!!! what say you?.

Gargamel360

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 12:21:53 AM »
Incidentally I Google d aswMBR.exe and several reports like this one: http://www.removespywarereviewed.com/exe-a/aswmbr-exe.html say it's a virus!!! what say you?.
aswmbr is a master boot record scanning tool.  It is legit and made by a guy who works for Avast!.  If you have any doubts to this, browse the virus&worms section of the forums and look at how often it is used in the last month alone, let alone the last year. 

Googling whether or not something is a virus is a quick way to get scammed or further infected, unless you carefully check every sites reputation that comes up in the search results.

Its on you whether you want to continue, but think about it....there is not way one of the worlds most popular anti-virus would condone spreading an infection around their support forum.  There is nothing for you to worry about.

Seacap

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 12:39:04 AM »
Its on you whether you want to continue, but think about it....there is not way one of the worlds most popular anti-virus would condone spreading an infection around their support forum.  There is nothing for you to worry about.

I was hoping you'd read what what's on that website because they even suggested downloading this aswMBR fix however I lost my download program so now I got two problems I need a download program and safe site to download aswMBR fix from, any ideas?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 12:46:59 AM »
a file name is just a file name.... i can download a virus sample and rename it to Seacap.exe
so you need to know what search result you can trust..

I was hoping you'd read what what's on that website because they even suggested downloading this aswMBR fix however I lost my download program so now I got two problems I need a download program and safe site to download aswMBR fix from, any ideas?
and why do you think they suggest you download that program........guess what, it only cost 34.95   http://download.cnet.com/RegUtility/3000-2094_4-75165406.html    ;D

wait for Essexboy`s advice, he will be back tomorrow....and he works for free 
he is usually in here around 08:00pm - 11:59pm UK time

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:51:55 AM by Pondus »

Seacap

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 01:03:14 AM »
Nice... I didn't inquire that far but I am not surprised thanks just the same. That still leaves me with these two problems how do I get a hold of download program and this fix?   

Gargamel360

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 01:04:27 AM »
What do you mean?  Are you needing a download link to aswmbr?

Seacap

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 01:20:34 AM »
Are you needing a download link to aswmbr?

Yes and a "Download Program" to download it with!, it's the Catch 22. Virus denied access to my files and programs and I no longer have the ability to download anything from the Internet, can you feel my pain? 

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 01:24:52 AM »
Are you needing a download link to aswmbr?

Yes and a "Download Program" to download it with!, it's the Catch 22. Virus denied access to my files and programs and I no longer have the ability to download anything from the Internet, can you feel my pain?  
create a new topic that is yours...as this belongs to Seadog......and follow Essxboys guide
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 01:26:33 AM by Pondus »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 09:27:03 PM »
You will need to run all the programmes in the list - especially the RogueKiller as your files/folders are apparently missing.

You can run RogueKiller from as USB drive

EDIT : just looked at the link and it is a scam
We received the files of aswmbr.exe on 12.4.2011 and detected it is a virus. aswmbr.exe is a Malware,aswmbr.exe file size of the samples we received is unknown bytes, File Path is Unkonow path\aswmbr.exe.
aswmbr.exe Not Found"
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\aswmbr.exe access is denied."
"A required component is missing: aswmbr.exe. Please install the application again. "
"Dll Registration: Failed for file "C:\WINDOWS\System32\aswmbr.exe"
"c:\windows\System32\aswmbr.exe missing or corrupt: Please re-install a copy of the above file."
"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down."
It runs from the desktop
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:33:55 PM by essexboy »

Seacap

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 11:42:57 PM »
Essexboy, I need detailed instructions how to rebuild my computer to original state. I've been kicking around computers since 1993 and had Avast installed for at least 6 years I have limited experience in using malware cleaners, rootkis detectors or rogue killers etc.. I know this has be a  step by step process to rebuilt files but I don't have a clue what comes first is it rebuilding MBR or something else and what utilities do you use and how to use these tools. Right now I find it all just a little confusing so you'll have to be gentle.

1. My first problem is I am unable to download anything from Internet because "download" doesn't work on my computer so how do I restore this function?
2. What website could I get a clean copy of this Rogue Killer maybe I can have someone emailed it to me and run it from email would that work?
Thank you.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 11:50:51 PM »
2. What website could I get a clean copy of this Rogue Killer maybe I can have someone emailed it to me and run it from email would that work?
Did you read my post above....did you click the link ?

Seacap

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 03:51:16 AM »
"Did you read my post above....did you click the link ?"
Yes I read your post and don't really understand what to do here?.
I assume link you're referring to is Essexboy's "Logs to assist in cleaning malware". I got Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and OTL and I posted OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. earlier but then my DOWNLOAD PROGRAM died and I CAN NOT DOWNLOAD aswMBR.exe, the RogueKiller or any other fix files from links you supply to continue with cleaning the computer. Q-do you understand the implication of what I am saying here?, I wish there was a way to chat here posting has it's limitations.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 03:54:19 AM by Seacap »