Author Topic: Uninstalling preinstalled WildTangent Games gives sandbox alert  (Read 18920 times)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Uninstalling preinstalled WildTangent Games gives sandbox alert
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2011, 04:35:13 AM »
To the OP Hubbaman. To uninstall Wild Tangent try right clicking on the Wild Tangent icon...click on "open file location"...click on "uninstall". There are no guarantees. Or once you have the file location open manually delete each entry individually. Hope this helps.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

gdiloren

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2011, 05:04:55 PM »
I uninstalled Wild Tangent from my HP computer from Control Panel running it out of the Sandbox from the very beginning. No problem here. Had to remove manually the folder HP Games though. :o

Hubbaman

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2011, 09:19:18 PM »
By the way, the uninstall still fails after restoring the file from the chest, I don't know why. I might do a complete reset of the laptop and try uninstalling the software again then. Why? Well, I like my computers to be as "clean" as possible. It just annoys me that it is so difficult to simply buy a new computer without all the "extras".

@Hubbaman,

If you have no data in your system yet, the "factory default" is the faster and cleaner option you have.

After that "factory default", you should uninstall anything that you don't want. Use the "Add/Remove Programs" applet in Control Panel, and PLEASE reboot each time you uninstall something (instead of uninstalling "everything" and only then rebooting).

Please check your system for "factory" security tools. If you have some trial or alike of some security tool, it is VERY advisable to run also the specific removal utility after uninstallting (of course, IF you decide to uninstall it).

A partial list of removal utilities is listed at http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/. Please run the removal tools from Windows Safe Mode, and reboot in  between each run of any removal utility.

ONLY after you removed all the "extras", and specially after removing any other security tools, *then* install Avast (and reboot immediately after installing, before configuring or updating). This should avoid most conflicts between Avast and other security tools "preinstalled".

Please report back.

Thanks. I had actually done this already since my last post. I did a full restore, then uninstalled the WildTangent programs using Control panel and Add/Remove programs. This went without any problems. I then installed Avast.

(I will never know if I could have done a restore, installed Avast and then removed WildTangent without problems. It may be that the problems I had the first time, were due to the fact that one possible threat had been moved to the sandbox.)

Thank you for your help, I am happy now.
 :)

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2011, 12:33:07 AM »
One more thought, you might want to use CCleaner to follow through. Don't worry as CCleaner is very easy and safe to use.

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Also I'm sorry it took so long to figure it out. I knew what to do, I allowed myself to get distracted, sorry. But I am sincerely happy you took care of your issue. Come back anytime, we offer help 24/7 and it's free.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.