Author Topic: insert licenses into avast internet secruity 6  (Read 4392 times)

psz

insert licenses into avast internet secruity 6
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:12:59 PM »
I am running Windows 7 64bit. I had Avast Internet Security version 6.0.1367. I did a system restore recently and avast has stopped working. The error "File System Shield provider not found." pops up. There is also an error when I try to uninstall from add/remove programs.

I have downloaded the avast removal application, ran it in safe mode and have received a new license via email. This email however only mentions version 4.8 and 5. I want to keep using the version I'm currently using. On the Avast site I can only find those and version 7 which comes with a free month trial. I don't want that because I already own 6.0.1367.

If i just download version 7 will I be able to use it past the free trial if I insert the licenses for 6 that I already have?  If so, how do I insert the license in version 7?

I have found and downloaded the setup for avast! Internet Security 6.0.1289.  How do I insert the licenses once I've ran the removal program and installed?  Are the instructions the same for the one sent with the licenses for version 5?

I realize I have posted nearly this same message twice, apologies, I just really want this resolved.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: insert licenses into avast internet secruity 6
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 09:56:12 PM »
1. If i just download version 7 will I be able to use it past the free trial if I insert the licenses for 6 that I already have? 
2. If so, how do I insert the license in version 7?

1. Yes.
2. https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1095
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

psz

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:48:11 PM »
Is 7 more stable than 6, especially in regards to system restore?

So I should just download the 7 trial and follow the steps in that link?  Thanks you very much.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:15:52 PM by psz »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:11:24 PM »
No, we did not get forward that much in this regard (system restore issues...). Sorry.
The best things in life are free.

psz

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:16:33 PM »
What advice can you give me for next time I need to restore?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:21:35 PM »
What advice can you give me for next time I need to restore?
Disable self-defense module before.
Start the system restore from Safe Mode.

psz

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 11:55:59 PM »
How do I go about that?  Sorry if this information is readily available.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 12:54:13 PM »
How do I go about that?  Sorry if this information is readily available.
Here are the instructions for an installation from scratch (and the use of Safe Mode):

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1 in Safe Mode. Boot after you've run it. Repeat this for any major avast! version you have ever installed/upgraded in your computer.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.