Author Topic: How to get avast running in task bar again  (Read 4084 times)

REDACTED

How to get avast running in task bar again
« on: October 02, 2009, 11:24:40 PM »
Hi, my dad recently installed a program on to my computer (Pinnacle studio), and had to disable avast for it to work. Avast is no longer in my taskbar (I'm not sure if that's the correct word, lower right hand corner of the screen, where volume control is.) And I'm feeling paranoid about viruses so I want to have avast run in the background again. Please, how do I set it so it runs in the background again?

Mr.Agent

Re: How to get avast running in task bar again
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 11:35:36 PM »
Just a thing.

Never put your email as your account name in next time.

Its for prevent that the bot dont spam your email or some 1.

Thank.

Mr.Agent

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 12:50:09 AM »
Try a repair of your Avast installation, via the control panel, add/remove programs (or in Vista, programs and settings.)

The area you refer to (bottom right) is called the system tray, or "systray" for short, and the Avast icon should indeed be there.
If you open taskmanager, is ashServ.exe present?

Now the real question is why did he have to disable Avast to install or use this Pinnacle Studio?
Perhaps it is a non-legitimate copy, and contains a malware file. I would be very suspicious of that. Did Avast alert to any malware while this program was being installed or run? If not, why disable?
From where did this Pinnacle studio come? (Download site, please, if applicable.)
If so, what is the name and path of the detection, please?

The other possibility is that it is a false detection (these happen, occasionally) and steps can be taken to put it right.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 01:48:32 AM »
Ok, first, thanks Tarq for the info. I did the repair of Avast, to no avail. Second, I'm not entirely sure where he got the download, but he first downloaded it onto his own computer, and then made a copy for my computer, if I'm correct. ashServ.exe is running in the taskmanager. I have run several of the manual virus scans on the "thorough" setting after installing the program and found nothing. Any other ideas?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 01:59:28 AM »
Was there any other AV installed on this computer before Avast?
Why was it necessary to disable Avast to run the program?
On the desktop there should be an Avast icon. Double click to start it, then when the memory test is complete, click on "menu" then "Settings", then "appearance". Check the boxes that say ''show avast tray icon" and "animate..."
See how that goes, and please answer the questions above.

If you can change your username on the forum (IDK if that's possible) it would pay to, as MrAgent says. Spambots harvest email addresses; it increases your chances of having that address spammed.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 11:05:27 PM »
OK, I'm not sure what happened but it's running in the system tray again. So, thanks for the info.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 11:18:20 PM »
Maybe you rebooted and that completed the repair.
(Or the ghost went away.)