Author Topic: Avast! BART CD will not boot  (Read 13532 times)

JimG

Avast! BART CD will not boot
« on: January 29, 2010, 08:02:27 PM »
I have just finished checking the third failing cd of Avast! Bart cd and all of them return the following message when attempting to boot.

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):
\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

I have tried to boot the cd on 3 different machines and each one gives me the same result . . .

I have been into the file system on the cds and everything looks alright.  All directories are accessible.

Help!

rlb

Re: Avast! BART CD will not boot
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 10:31:12 PM »
I am having the exact same problem, I thought it might be my burner so I tried another one and am still having the same problem.

liono25

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 12:59:13 AM »
i had this happen but was able to work around it by making a bootable BART flash drive instead.

Pedro Hin

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 02:23:56 AM »
This is possily indicative of an infection. We had a few of these in the shop this week, and we were tearing our hair out trying to figure it out. It's not the BART CD but something which is happening to the filesystem [and/or] registry.

We finally performed 'repair' installs of XP, reloaded IE8 in safe mode, then activated XP again. We then were able to proceed with infection cleanup.

My guess was that the infection broke permissions on the registry or modified the MFT in such a way as to mask the existence of malicious files.

JimG

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 02:54:04 AM »
I looked further into the problem and finally downloaded the new beta version of Avast! Bart cd.  This worked fine.
Thanks for the comments . . .

Pedro Hin

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 03:00:48 AM »
I'll have to check out the beta.

Our company subscribes to the Avast boot CD, and almost never had trouble before. We just assumed it has something to do with a rootkit infection.

We were so hammered with badly infected systems coming into the shop this week, we were running on auto-pilot with not a lot of time to get to the normal filesystem/registry level of troubleshooting we like to normally do.

maxit

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 02:23:17 AM »
Booted with an older (December updates) CD and it worked fine! The latest updated CD gives this error.

Hyperus

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 02:46:03 AM »