Author Topic: browser and e-mail not working after downloading avast  (Read 7580 times)

dixyson

browser and e-mail not working after downloading avast
« on: August 13, 2013, 07:37:14 PM »
I dont know if anyone else has had this problem but here goes. I paid for 2 years of avast and when it downloaded I was unable to acess any of my web browsers or my outlook. They would give me error messages that they were unable to connect even though I had an internet connection. I contacted support and they told me it was possibly a problem with my windows and also talked me into purchasing the $169.99 support package. After much time spent over the course of the day and having to actually uninstall and re-install the avast twice they finally corrected the problem which was the avast itself to start with. I am now highly upset because I had to pay them to fix their problem ( the software). I understand they spent time fixing it but I do not think it should have cost me to fix something that was wrong with their problem (the avast software) which I also had to pay for in the first place. I would have come out a whole lot better if I would have stuck with the free version to start with and would still have my $240 and time minus the aggravation. Don't get me wrong I like the avast and that was why I decided to stick with it rather than the avg that I used to have but when you purchase something you expect it to work and not have to pay more to fix it. Kind of like a new car, it should come with a warranty.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: browser and e-mail not working after downloading avast
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 09:23:35 PM »

Welcome to the forum.  :) Sorry that you had a problem. You actually contacted a third party support. Not Avast.
The best and always free support can be found here on the Avast Support Forum.
I've reported this thread to the Moderators and hope one of them will get back to you.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 09:59:44 PM »
The most likely cause of this is your firewall (or remnants of your previous AV) blocking avast functions and that 3rd party support should damn well know that and is well within the bounds of the free support.

This is usually how we determine what the problem might be and it is usually resolved quickly and for free:
What is your operating system and firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

These questions generally give an indication of why you can't connect with your browser or email.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dixyson

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 02:31:01 AM »
Alright. A little info and history. About a month ago I suddenly had a problem with my computer where all of my shortcuts and links to the internet quit working. I wound up calling geeks online for help and after a couple of days of them working on my computer and telling me it was fixed when it wasn't, my neighbor informed me he had spoken to someone he knew that worked on computers. He told me that I had probably gotten an update to my operating sytem which is windows vista and this was the problem. He said I needed to use firefox to open my browser windows and it should work. It did. While the geeks worked on my computer they completely deleted my avg and some other programs that I had paid for(without my permission) with no positive results to the problem. They installed avast, super anti spy ware, iobit mailware and advanced sytemcare 6 on my computer(all free versions). I liked the avast and decided to try it out.
 When I paid for the 2 years of avast and downloaded it I had also just paid for a year with the iobit mailware which the tech with avast deleted along with the free versions of the other two when he was attempting to correct my problem with the avast. The free avast was acting as the firewall when I downloaded the paid version and no other anti-virus was operating on my computer. As soon as I downloaded the paid version I started having problems and the avast was not working correctly. The firewall on it would not operate and the symbol for it in the lower right corner of my computer kept a little triangle with an ! in it showing there was a problem. I called avast and the 1st person I talked to remoted in and saw the problems and told me it was most probably something with my system and I could get one of the support tech's to fix it when I signed up for the $170. The only thing they found was a problem with the avast and after two tries of un-installing and re-installing they got it working again. One of them said it probably did not download correctly to start with.
 I have now been bitten twice by paying for online support and either not having the problem corrected or the problem being with the software I purchased and having to pay to get it fixed when I shouldn't have had to pay to do so. I know the tech's spent time working on this problem with avast but I thought they would at least refund me some of my money when I explaned it to billing but I was told no. I feel I was missled(or scared) into using their services when it was not my fault. >:(

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 08:17:22 AM »
the help here in the forum is free
if you want somone to take a look, follow this guide here.   http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
scroll down to OTL and attach (not copy and paste) the diagnostic log

when done a log expert will have a look....

Offline VojtaN

• Avast team
  • No PM please
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 02:56:59 PM »
Hello Jordan,
I apologize for bad experience. Our customer service department will contact you. Could you please drop me your phone number where we can reach you? Please use private message.

Thank you in advance

Vojta Nekvapil

Avast Software

I dont know if anyone else has had this problem but here goes. I paid for 2 years of avast and when it downloaded I was unable to acess any of my web browsers or my outlook. They would give me error messages that they were unable to connect even though I had an internet connection. I contacted support and they told me it was possibly a problem with my windows and also talked me into purchasing the $169.99 support package. After much time spent over the course of the day and having to actually uninstall and re-install the avast twice they finally corrected the problem which was the avast itself to start with. I am now highly upset because I had to pay them to fix their problem ( the software). I understand they spent time fixing it but I do not think it should have cost me to fix something that was wrong with their problem (the avast software) which I also had to pay for in the first place. I would have come out a whole lot better if I would have stuck with the free version to start with and would still have my $240 and time minus the aggravation. Don't get me wrong I like the avast and that was why I decided to stick with it rather than the avg that I used to have but when you purchase something you expect it to work and not have to pay more to fix it. Kind of like a new car, it should come with a warranty.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 04:23:48 PM »
@ VojtaN
Jordan can't use the private message function until he has 20 posts; it is one of a few anti-spam measures in the forums.

So it may be easier to use your email (envelope icon) to communicate his number.

EDIT: Typo.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 06:50:14 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline skinnypops

• backup, backup, backup
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 06:01:08 PM »
to avast execs:

you need to replace this dishonest, exploitive third party phone support system or at least inform prospective customers like dixyson so they won't get ripped off. even though you offer to fix it, it certainly  leaves a very bad taste in your mouth.
one case, ok stuff happens. however, i have read many of the same type reports in this very forum and elsewhere.
perhaps you should discontinue this farce of a "service?" IF YOU CANNOT FIX IT IT IMHO.

most sincerely,
skinnypops

new HP , amd a10-8700p quad core @ 1.8 gig radeon r6 graphics ,dedicated radeon r8 2gb graphics card, 8 gig ddr3-1600 memory, 1 tb hdd, win 10x64 home 1607 build 14393.1066, avast free 17.3.2291,  windows firewall, mbae free, mbam free, open dns, cryptoprevent, mcshield, paragon bu & recovery 2015,system explorer

dixyson

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 07:19:49 PM »
I have updated my profile and settings to allow other members to e-mail me. Thanks for the help

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 07:26:25 PM »
I have updated my profile and settings to allow other members to e-mail me. Thanks for the help
not necessary to do unless you want all forum users to see your mail
avast team members can see your email address all time

dixyson

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 09:40:56 PM »
Thanks for the info. I will change that back. I would also like to add somemore info about my problem. Yesterday I noticed my e-mail was locking up again. It would try to download my e-mails from my account to my outlook but was very, very slow and when you closed the application it would actually still be running in the background so the only way to truly exit it was to log off and restart the computer. I called the tech number again and this time he just reset my computer to an earlier saved time and wanted me to call back when it reset and they would go from there. When it finished everything worked but I was back to a time when I had the free version of avast on my computer and had the shortcuts for the other apps the tech had previously uninstalled. I went to my control panel and it still shows the icons but the actuall apps are no longer there(they are un-installed) which isn't that big a deal with me. Anyway, rather than call back again I went ahead and downloaded the paid version of avast again and inserted the license number myself and everything is working like it is supposed to now.