Author Topic: How do I unblock files from avast?  (Read 10176 times)

tedacious

How do I unblock files from avast?
« on: October 16, 2008, 11:10:53 PM »
Hi
I installed avast a few days ago, but now it seems to block the internet connections for some of my programs, the firewall perhaps. how can I edit this? (the program is ventrilo).
Appreciate any help
thank you in advance!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How do I unblock files from avast?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »
Well avast isn't a firewall so doesn't block programs, it scans content and alerts to infection (at that point it would block the execution of the file).

So what are these programs ?
What are the sites or tasks that these programs perform ?
Are there any errors displayed and if so what are they ?

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tedacious

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 07:08:33 PM »
oh okay.

The program that doesn't work is Ventrilo, if you're familiar with it; then when I press "connect" to connect to a certain channel, it stucks on "MSG: Synchronizing".
the program is used to enter a channel for voice chat, but it won't connect to the chat channel.

I had the standard windows xp AV, Norman antivirus. But I uninstalled it when I got avast, I don't recall how I uninstalled it, but probably through the "add/remove programs"

I noticed now however, that I still have the windows-firewall in use. I made it allow the program, but it still didn't work.
I turned the firewall off, but that didn't work either.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 07:59:49 PM »
Which site are you trying to connect (maybe post an edited link to it, like hxxp instead of http, to not post a live link to malware)?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 08:17:22 PM »
Which version of Norman did you have ?

There is an uninstall tool on this page.
Uninstall Norman Virus Control / Norman Internet Control http://www.norman.com/Support/Knowledge_bases/Norman_Virus_Control/Windows/installation/11640/en
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 09:36:14 AM »

I had the standard windows xp AV, Norman antivirus. But I uninstalled it when I got avast, I don't recall how I uninstalled it, but probably through the "add/remove programs"

Using "add/remove programs" alone is not enough to uninstall the registry keys and other things left behind.

Please follow David's advice above.