Author Topic: Whare are these password protected files? I never added any?  (Read 8020 times)

Dude123

Whare are these password protected files? I never added any?
« on: September 28, 2012, 06:47:50 AM »
Hi! Thanks for viewing my thread. I have searched around and I came up empty with my particular issue. Some forums that I've read through state that the fix they provided is only for that particular case that they have. Mine is different from theirs since I don't have the same files affected.  Hopefully someone can help me.

Answers to the questions from: What to do if a file is infected?

1. The files were detected from me manually doing a Quick scan with Avast 7.0.1466. This is what the log says:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\DSUpdate\Updates\DataSafe_LGG_Tag_ini_Update.exe|>DataSafe_Green.ico
C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\DSUpdate\Updates\DataSafe_LGG_Tag_ini_Update.exe|>diff_000001.dif
C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\DSUpdate\Updates\DataSafe_LGG_Tag_ini_Update.exe|>IRIMG1.BMP
C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\DSUpdate\Updates\DataSafe_LGG_Tag_ini_Update.exe|>IRIMG1.JPG

Error: Archive is password protected. (42056) is marked on each one.

Some files could not be scanned is noted in the result

2. No idea where it came from.

3. I don't download anything.

4. The file and location is noted in my response to questions 1 above.

5. The exact wording is in my response  to questions 1 above. Show last pop-up message is greyed out and can't be picked/selected.

6. The files themselves are housed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\DSUpdate\Updates\DataSafe_LGG_Tag_ini_Update.exe. I did a quick scan of the executable and I got the same exact messages previously mentioned in my answer to the first question.

7. I'll do what this question asks of me. What is FP?

8. Little information is found on each file I searched for. Most of them state that the fix will only work with that particular user. Also. These are the only 4 files affected. Their are no others affected or have been quarantined.

What do I do from here. Thanks in advance!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Whare are these password protected files? I never added any?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 08:53:11 AM »
C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\
do you have a Dell computer ?

anyway, files that can not be scanned are just that, no more no less. it does not mean they are infected
avast is just giving you a scan error report and the reason why

many programs password protect there files, like security programs, adobe and many more and this seems to belong to some Dell backup system

What is Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0?
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?docid=266281

Dude123

Re: Whare are these password protected files? I never added any?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 10:57:42 AM »
C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\
do you have a Dell computer ?

anyway, files that can not be scanned are just that, no more no less. it does not mean they are infected
avast is just giving you a scan error report and the reason why

many programs password protect there files, like security programs, adobe and many more and this seems to belong to some Dell backup system

What is Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0?
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?docid=266281

Yes I do have a Dell.

It's my first time ever coming across files that weren't password protected by me. I thought it was odd coming across these ones.

Thanks for the reassurance and information!