Author Topic: why does Avast try to force me to use Google Chrome?  (Read 7164 times)

scrappydeb

why does Avast try to force me to use Google Chrome?
« on: May 24, 2012, 04:30:53 PM »
I re-registered the free version a while back, and tried the free trial of the upgraded (Internet Security?) version. It kept prompting me to buy the upgrade at the reduced price of $19.99, and I was going to, but when I click "buy now" it takes me to a prompt to accept Google Chrome and make it my browser...??? I don't want Google Chrome. Yes, I know I could just download it and then go back to Mozilla, but I really don't want to. Why am I forced into Chrome to upgrade my Avast??

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: why does Avast try to force me to use Google Chrome?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 05:34:55 PM »
You should be able to uncheck the option for Chrome or close that window and proceed. However, I can't check that out as I don't have the discount option in the Summary screen of avast! free right now.

Are you able to post a screenshot (use the 'Attachments and other options' link in the forum post Reply window) of the relevant windows as you progress through the upgrade ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 05:35:10 PM »
Hi scrappydeb,

I'm assuming you are trying to install version 7.0.1426. 

To skip installation of Google Chrome, choose 'Custom Install' instead of the default one.  In Custom Install is an option to untick the install there.  Avast! has this set to "opt-out" rather that "opt-in" because they believe Chrome is a safer browser to use than other browsers.  So users are faced with a possible unwanted install of Chrome.

So the default setting is to automatically install Chrome for the user.

You don't want that, so untick the box to install (opt-out) Chrome.  Clearing this box will stop the Chrome install.  You should not see Chrome when installation is done.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 05:39:19 PM »
No he hasn't got to that point he is at this point when I click "buy now" it takes me to a prompt to accept Google Chrome and make it my browser... He is/was trying to use the upgrade option from the discount offer in the avastUI.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

UserA789

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 05:56:38 PM »
No he hasn't got to that point he is at this point when I click "buy now" it takes me to a prompt to accept Google Chrome and make it my browser... He is/was trying to use the upgrade option from the discount offer in the avastUI.
So David, would the only current course of action be to upgrade, as desired, then uninstall, maybe even run aswclean.exe, then reinstall so they can choose his specific options  :-[

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 05:59:23 PM »
I don't know what the course of action would be, that is why I asked for more information to see if there is an easy way round this or not.

UserA789

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »
Thanks for clarifiaction David.  Maybe the discount is something offered by taking a gander at Chrome?  That would make sense why they try to force it on one, as far as a marketing perspective.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 06:11:10 PM »
Well DavidR knows the workings of the avast software better than many of us.

Read here to know avast developers are also aware of this issue: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94095.msg787366#msg787366

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

scrappydeb

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 06:12:17 PM »
Screen shot below, although I no longer am given the option of the 19.99 upgrade. I think I let it expire - totally my fault, I just procrastinated. I should have asked this question earlier. But when I click on "upgrade" from Avast, I see that I get the same dialog, which appears to be forcing me into Chrome. If in fact I can just opt out of Chrome in the next screen, then that's splendid, and I WOULD have upgraded. But wow, this is very misleading.

I'm a "she", btw. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 06:27:41 PM »
Thanks for the image, I'm not sure how you managed to get to the Google Chrome option from the Support tab though. You can check the avastUI, Summary tab as that is where the normal discount offers appear. Whilst it may be gone right now, it does come around reasonably frequently.

I will keep my eye out for it and try to follow it through to see where it goes.

My apologies for the gender confusion ;D

Nesivos

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 08:40:32 PM »
Hi scrappydeb,

I'm assuming you are trying to install version 7.0.1426. 

To skip installation of Google Chrome, choose 'Custom Install' instead of the default one.  In Custom Install is an option to untick the install there.  Avast! has this set to "opt-out" rather that "opt-in" because they believe Chrome is a safer browser to use than other browsers.  So users are faced with a possible unwanted install of Chrome.

So the default setting is to automatically install Chrome for the user.

You don't want that, so untick the box to install (opt-out) Chrome.  Clearing this box will stop the Chrome install.  You should not see Chrome when installation is done.

So avast! is another vendor including Chrome in an Express install and forcing you to do a Custom install to avoid downloading and installing? Chrome?   They have made downloading and installing? of Chrome part of their standard install.  No further comment on this. :)